Undoing zone heating/AC setup

Old 12-29-15, 07:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Undoing zone heating/AC setup

I own a home with a zone heating/AC unit (heat pump) where one zone is an area with 2 bedrooms (up) and the other zone is a bonus room over the garage. The system wasn't working over the weekend and the HVAC contractor says it's a bad zone control board. They are quoting around $600 total for parts/labor to replace.

However, during the summer months (located in NC), the room over the garage will not cool adequately in spite of being on its own zone. I have to use a window unit to cool that room. So, I am considering just doing away with the zone setup since it really isn't functioning as intended. I would still use the window unit to cool the bonus room (approx 375 sq ft) in the summer.

Is this a bad idea?

Old 12-29-15, 09:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if the zones aren't working for you then there is no sense spending money on it.

Remove the zoning board, Disconnect the zone damper motors, Strap the zone dampers wide open so they can't ever close, and connect the central most thermostat up directly to your furnace as any other normal single zone system.

Old 12-29-15, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,417 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Actually.... instead of strapping them wide open.... you may experiment to see if more cooling, and consequently, more heating is required in the two zones.

I have a furnace with an A/C coil that supplies two floors and each floor has it's own damper. I adjust them differently in the summer and winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: