Goodman Heat Pump Noise

Old 12-31-15, 03:03 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Heat Pump Noise

Hi - I have a Goodman Heat pump that came with the house. I have two zones supporting the house. I have had a couple of A/C issues and had to replace to coils but today I started to get a loud screeching sound from the heat pump support my upper level. The heat pump is about 9 years old with model GSH130301A. I removed the housing to see if the fan was moving freely - all seems right with the fan. I noticed that the screeching noise starts about 10 minutes after the fan kicked on. The noise seems to be coming from the lower back of the unit. It is loud enough that I can hear it from inside. Any thoughts on what I am dealing with here? Here is a short video of the unit and the noise.

https://youtu.be/Xipy_B9ljNA

Thanks

Old 12-31-15, 03:53 PM
S
My first thought is the fan blades are hitting the shroud.

Old 12-31-15, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,417 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That doesn't sound like a fan noise. It sounds like a compressor issue.... especially coming from the lower part of the unit.

If that condensor just had a coil changed.... there may be crap that was caught in the line and is now in the compressor. I'd call the servicing company to check it out.... it doesn't sound good.

Old 01-01-16, 09:13 AM
P
PJmax - thanks for the info. I did have the coils replaced this summer. It is not the fan as I removed the cover made sure the fan moves freely. We have now lost heat. I am going to call the service company now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: