Heat Pump Aux issues

Old 01-05-16, 10:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Heat Pump Aux issues

Well I think I have a issue w/ my heat pump's aux/emergency setting - here is the issue - last night it was really cold outside & I noticed the Aux kicked in but just barely got warm & then kicked back off - so this morning I decided to cycle it over to emergency heat only.

So I switched the t-stat over to emergency heat setting & then cracked my t-stat to 80 just to check the heat strips - my room temp is always at 72 - so it started & my t-stat room temp fall to 71 & then the aux kicked on ( while in emergency heat mode ); & then it just ran & ran & the air was just warm ( not pushing alot of heat like normal ) & it ran for nearly 15mins & only went back to 72 on room t-stat side - so I am not sure what is actually going on.

I have called the heat pump guys they are scheduling someone to come out - but not sure when they can get here.

Does anyone know what could be causing such a issue?

Old 01-05-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,417 Votes on 1,310 Posts
The key is...... is the heat pump working..... or running (outside unit) ?

Was the heat pump still running when in emergency heat ?

Old 01-05-16, 10:38 AM
J
When I actually switch it over to emergency heat I didn't check to see if the outside compressor was still running or not should I try to switch it back to emergency heat and walk outside to see if compressor is running outside?

Also when in emergency heat its giving warm air - but not really hot like it should be - for example the outside unit got it back to 72 so I put back in to emergency heat and push to 73 it clicked changed over and then Aux kicked in and push to 73 but just kept running and running I am thinking its not satisfying the t-stat properly.

So what should I do to investigate this & provide further feedback to help determine a cause or close to a cause?

Old 01-05-16, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
If the condensor is running.... then that's what is increasing your heat. If the condensor is not running and the heat isn't going up.... the reheat coils are not working.

Those are hard to check as there isn't a flame to look at like with a furnace.

Old 01-05-16, 10:43 AM
J
Right now I got it back in normal heat ( condensor ); & its heating normal right now; is there anyway I can test this again like switch it into emergency heat and see if the condensor still running or not?

Anything else I can try to help pin point a issue?

Old 01-05-16, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Try it in emergency mode and see #1 if the condensor is not running and #2 see if the heat increases.

Old 01-05-16, 11:28 AM
J
#1 I switched it over to emergency heat - the condensor shut off right then.

#2 the heat t-stat was on 72 I bumped to 74 & the aux kicked on above "heat on" & it ran & ran then the aux kicked off & then it went for about 15mins & increased to 74 however it still running as I type this its been 30mins so far.

Its just blowing out luke warm air - sorta like its pulling from the condensor. while in the living room the air handler in the attic in the living room so its fairly warm there - but when I move into the kitchen it feels colder.

Old 01-05-16, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
If the condensor is not running and the heat is increasing... that means that at least one electric coil is running. You may have several. You'd need to post the full model number for the air handler for us to look up to know for sure.

You can also tell by the breakers and their size feeding the air handler.
It's pretty rare for the electric coils to supply "blazing heat."

Old 01-05-16, 11:38 AM
J
Update : emergency heat after 35mins it cycled off stayed off aprox. 1min & came right back on.

Old 01-05-16, 11:43 AM
J
So you think the heat strip is faulty ? Now I know it not gonna throw out blazing hit - however the heat that used to come out of it was really toasty warm. This heat isn't & my unit has NEVER ran this long of a cycle in emergency heat.

So would you think this is a strip heat type issue? or what ? Because the Hvac guys are coming soon but haven't got a day that are actually coming out. My unit is still under warranty at this time as my parts are 5years.

Also note, the unit is still running as I type this. been now 43 mins only been off 1 min.

Old 01-05-16, 12:38 PM
J
I have been on these forums before w/ the dreaded DSS issue so I posted that information before - below is the details of my system :

2/Ton Trane Condenser ( Model : 4TWB3018-060 )

Air Handler ( Module : 4FWCA, 4FWCF )

Old 01-05-16, 09:50 PM
J
bump anyone?,

Just another update, its really cold outside here & I went & cycled my system into emergency heat & I can smell for a split second the coil heating up smell. then it just throwing out lukewarm air - however its cycling off an on now but the air feels so much different - it don't feel any different then the condensor outside air coming in.

So anyone else ever experience any such issue?

Old 01-05-16, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://www.traneraleigh.com/secure/d...;s%20Guide.pdf

It looks like you should have a single circuit up to 10KW.
The BAYHTR number will tell you what size your heat strips are.

It also looks like that model uses a heat sequencer. Sequencers are more prone to failure than heat strips.

Return air duct leaks can also cause poor heating performance. A digital thermometer can be used to measure the temperature just before the unit on the return and just after the first turn ( avoiding line of sight with the heat strips) on the supply side to get the rise in temperature.

Old 01-05-16, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
If you put the system back in normal heat.... see if the heat pump will fire. If your room temp is 4 or more degrees under the set temp... your heat coils should run with the heat pump.

Aux heat and emergency heat is the same electric element.

Old 01-05-16, 10:19 PM
J
So right now my room temp on t-stat is 72 - should I bump to 74 to trigger the Aux heat & see if it can boost it up quickly?

Old 01-05-16, 10:23 PM
J
Huston204 : my duct is only 3years old & looks great from when I inspected it & I have a digital t-stat so that I have. & will the sequencers blow only 1 or 2 coils on the strips & allow like 1 or 2 to work & the rest be faulty?

Old 01-05-16, 10:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is good news about your duct work. I have seen new installs with the plenum on the decking next to the unit it should be attached to.

Yes heat sequencers can partially fail.
I am just not used to seeing them in Trane units.

Heating (electric heat only).
When the thermostat calls for heat, the circuit from R to W is completed, the
heat sequencer is energized. A time delay will occur: Then the heating element(s) and the indoor blower motor will come on.

Heat pump.
When the thermostat calls for heat, the circuits from R to Y and R to G are completed. Circuit R to
Y energized the outdoor unit contactor starting the compressor and outdoor fan. Circuit R to G energizes the
blower relay starting the blower motor.
If the indoor room temperature should continue to fall, circuit R to W is closed by the thermostat energizing the electric heat sequencer.

Old 01-05-16, 10:34 PM
J
Huston204 : I did what PJmax mentioned & I turned my t-stat 2 degrees above my room temp. The Aux came on - it got alittle warmer then what it was pushing outside. It was actually kinda warm but its weird - earlier today it didn't work well at all, & now it got alittle warmer then it ever did today just now but still isn't as hot as it usually is.

This is a very odd here.

Edit : When its in emergency heat only the air is just lukewarm only, so I am guessing why it was a bit hotter it had what strips was running & the outside air too combined give it a bit hotter maybe?

Old 01-05-16, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
It's pretty cold tonight in the northeast. It's 14f here so that would be pushing the lower limit of the heat pump but it should contribute some.

Old 01-05-16, 10:43 PM
J
One min it seems to act right then next it doesn't but I know today earlier it was acting badly. Now it seems promising; but in any event it not acting as it should. Anything else I can try before the tech comes out so I can help duplicate my issue to them & hopefully get this repaired.

Is the heat sequencer easy to test for faulty?

Old 01-05-16, 11:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
super easy with a clamp meter...

Old 01-05-16, 11:51 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately without a clamp on current meter there is very little you can do.

Old 01-06-16, 04:17 PM
J
Just wanted to update everyone to this issue as per reference if anyone else experience's a similar issue - the HVAC guy came out & checked the emergency heat setting & it was at a temp of 81degrees - which he said wasn't right; so there was a issue anyhow he checked the system & it seems one of the wires on the sequencer connector burnt lose & he had to rewired that & tightened it up & re-tested the registrar vent temp & it was at 110 degrees.

So all this over a wire burnt off the sequencer connector man what a day. lol

Old 01-06-16, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
I hope you watched him carefully so you can get right in there next time.

Old 01-06-16, 06:23 PM
J
Oh yes I sure did, because less then 30/mins costed me near $200 dollars. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: