Questions about installing new thermostat and about current setup

Old 01-24-16, 05:11 PM
Questions about installing new thermostat and about current setup

I wanted to install a programmable thermostat so i decided to look to see how my system is connected, so i decided to see how the furnace was connected. For instance they jumped w1 and w2 however my current stat on has a w2 entry and nothing for w1, so i assuming thats why they jumped it.

Im assuming with these 2 jumped i am wasting more electricity since it is engaging both stages at the same time, i guess i can remove the jump, hook another wire to w2 and connect it the same way to new stat right? Or does it not make any difference

My setup is

Carrier 25HCC538 comfort series
Carrier FV4CNF005 with a 15kW heater package

Name:  20160124_093244.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  20160122_141454 (1).jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  20.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-16, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
That may not be correct. Without knowing what stat you have that's not how it works.

First off..... it is not recommended to use a setback thermostat on a heatpump. A heatpump saves more energy (and money) by running longer with less use of the electric heating elements. No problem on A/C operation.

With a heatpump..... the first stage of heat (W1) is the heatpump itself.
The second stage is W2...... the electric heat.

You don't save any money by running only one or two heating strips. If you run one.... it takes twice as long.... if you run both it's half the time. With electric heat..... every dollar spent is recovered in heat.

Old 01-24-16, 06:58 PM
I currently have a Luxpro DM2110, for some reason i cant find any documentation online for it but it looks exactly like this 1, the PSDH105.

thanks for explaining that to me, i have 1 question for example from my stat i have a black wire(E) however when i go look at the air handler i dont see any connection for E or that black wire, since i bought an heater package for it, could this black wire being connected somewhere else?