Heat pump condensor runs with heat turned off

Old 02-01-16, 02:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump condensor runs with heat turned off

I'm between jobs at the moment so $ is tight. Trying to do as many repairs on my own as I can.

Recently replaced the old thermostat with a Nest. Fairly simple install and the people at Nest said it looked right. I replaced it because I thought my thermostat was acting funny and I wanted the functionality of the Nest.

Well now it seems as though the outdoor unit runs when it shouldn't. The fan is running but the heat in the house is off and the thermostat is at temp. The heat does come on when necessary and there have been times when the outdoor unit shuts off but it seems to be running far more than it should. Is the contact or getting stuck? It's been awhile since the unit was serviced.

Old 02-01-16, 03:17 PM
F
You can pull the control wire off the thermostat that goes to the outside unit to see if the contactor is stuck. If it stays on when the 24v supply is removed then it's getting stuck. Otherwise it's being commanded on by the thermostat.

Old 02-01-16, 04:21 PM
B
Thank you so much for the response. Would this wire be the "C" wire sometimes called common wire or the R wire? I get confused as to which one is power.

Old 02-01-16, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
No.... disconnect the Y or Y1 wire from the stat.

You could actually pull the R wire as R is 24vac hot.

Do you have a C connection...... it's good if you do ?

Old 02-05-16, 11:04 AM
F
Check to see the air that is coming off of your heat pump. The way a heat pump works is that your outside coil becomes your evaporator. Given the fact that it's winter your evaporator will freeze up as it is essentially working to cool the outside. Your outside coil will work longer to ensure that it is defrosting while your indoor coil is not running. Check your outside coil to see if there is warm air or steam or some sign that it is defrosting when it is running before you start pulling wires. As you said it seems to be running fine when there is a call for heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: