Questions about Electric heating

Old 04-17-16, 02:42 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Questions about Electric heating

I'm currently looking at a home to buy....says it has Electric Radiant heat(ceiling). It's a bi-level. Above the one level is a small attic access with just a ton of insulation and under the other level is a basement. Not sure if this would be a bad house to buy because of heating costs etc. Gas is available but there isn't any current duct work and lines would need to be run etc but how much would that cost? I live in north central PA. Past winter wasn't bad. I have a request for heating costs from 2014-15 winter.
Any help will be great. Thanks

Old 04-17-16, 02:48 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
It was common to see that many years ago.
Most had to be replaced long ago with a different type of heat.
Think about it, heat rises, who came up with the idea of having the heat in the ceiling?
Most likely the same guy that came up with particle board subfloors, Masonite siding.

Old 04-17-16, 02:51 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Call the local power company. Tell them that you are considering the house. Ask them what the cost is.

Old 04-17-16, 03:01 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I did that with the local Gas company on a previous house and they said they couldn't give me figures due to privacy regulations. LOL I will call them tomorrow and see if they can tell me.

Didn't know if anyone on here would have any input. House is sound and great location etc. I kinda love it. Divorced with two kids and want a house again. Sold my first one 4 yrs ago due to divorce. Used this site a lot for info and helped a couple people as well. Heating and plumbing, not my strong suits. LOL

Old 04-17-16, 03:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I did that with the local Gas company on a previous house and they said they couldn't give me figures due to privacy regulations.
Then tell the seller that you want to see bills. If they give you any double talk, say good bye.

idn't know if anyone on here would have any input. House is sound and great location etc.
I have input. Don't get suckered. That's the first input. Why is the house for sale? It doesn't matter how good it looks, everything must be considered.

Old 04-17-16, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Personally, I love electric ceiling cable heat. We had it in the house I grew up in, and I wish I had it now instead of gas forced air. The electric ceiling heat was dead silent, and you could control the temperature in each room. Best of all, it was absolutely reliable. Nothing to go wrong, unlike my computerized gas furnace which can't seem to run a whole winter without some fault shutting it down on the coldest day of the year. I plan on building later this year, and ceiling electric heat is one thing I'm going to request. I'll still need the ductwork system for central airconditioning, and I may spec a heat pump system to establish a minimum house temperature, with the ceiling cable boosting the temps as needed in individual rooms. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I like unique HVAC systems!

Old 04-18-16, 05:45 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Make sure the electric bills you receive are for a full 12 months,Snowbirds bail out for 6 or 7 months a year and the bills can be miss leading,check the KWH usage,not the dollar amount,ceiling heat is radiant and should not be lost through the ceiling.
Be Cautious !

Old 04-18-16, 06:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Make sure the electric bills you receive are for a full 12 months
100% correct. I was going to mention that.

Old 04-18-16, 07:34 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The hot air "rises" notion doesn't really apply when talking radiant heat from the ceiling. Radiant heat only secondarily heats the air, the primary mode of heat transfer is by radiation which is absorbed by mostly solid objects in the line of sight, e.g. people, walls, floors, chairs ...

I agree with the comment, below, by Beachboy , radiant from the ceiling is most comfortable to live with. The main concern is the cost and this is why they get replaced by cheaper fuels. It's hard to imagine that a seller wouldn't disclose the last few years electric bills; have you checked out the local electric rates ?

Old 04-18-16, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well, thank you all a ton for the help. I did call PP&L and they gave me the last 12 months. $175 average. So that being said I paid $2200 for my electric and gas bills at the current place I rent. It's a big half double and windows are storm but old wooden sash. So not to efficient at all. Walls are insulated.

In my opinion if I get on the budget plan and the bill is $200-225. It is ok. It is a house and it is bigger than where I live now. I am not familiar with the heat, hence why I posted on this awesome site. lol

I put an offer in today...$26k less than asking. The people that own(Investment company) it bought it in 2009 as an investment along with two other properties. This was when the big Gas industry hit the area and renting sky rocketed. Landlords were charging 700 for a one bedroom. It was crazy. Well now the gas industry is down 3/4 if not more and they don't want it anymore. Currently has been sitting empty since Jan I believe. Bathroom is renovated, all rooms are freshly painted, new carpet with original hardwood under it in every room. It has potential to be a $225k house. But needs some updating here and there.

Thanks again for all the input. Appreciate the help. Will be posting more on here when it's time for some upgrades etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: