Goodman packaged unit stops blowing air

Old 05-12-16, 08:43 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman packaged unit stops blowing air

Goodman model phkj 481 serial 0111404840

My unit will work then just stop if I turn off the power for like 15 min and then turn it back on it will normally start blowing air again I don't know if it is a relay or the contacator is going out on the unit everything else works on the unit tho fan spins and it still freeze up if it runs without the air going through the unit how do I check to find out which one is bad or if it could be something else someone pls help

Last edited by PJmax; 05-12-16 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added model and serial to text
Old 05-12-16, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread and changed the title to match your unit.

When you say "stops blowing"..... you're talking about the blower that moves air thru the house.....correct ?

If the blower runs for 15 minutes and then stops.... it sounds like a defective motor. There will be a capacitor that could possibly be defective but I would doubt it. Usually if the cap is bad the blower won't start.

Old 05-12-16, 09:38 PM
F
Yes the blower motor but I don't think it's the blower motor it works till the unit cycles off then back on the motor won't work but if I turn off the breaker and wait 15 min normally it will come back on that's why I was thinking a relay gets stuck or the capacator

Old 05-12-16, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The blower motor runs...... it gets hot. Sometimes after it's running for a while it will actually start to make noise or slow down. This is caused by the bearings in the motor going bad.

Right after the motor shuts off.... the bearings are keeping the motor from restarting. After you wait 15 minutes the bearings cool off and it restarts.

Try just waiting 15 minutes without turning the breaker off. It should restart when cool.

You need to open the blower access door and see if the blower motor is getting very hot. The door is on the end opposite the A/C coils.

Old 05-12-16, 10:15 PM
F
Blower motor was replaced like 2 years ago tho I will check tomorrow after it runs first cycle see if it's really hot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: