Bryant blower motor not working on heat pump

Old 05-26-16, 01:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryant blower motor not working on heat pump

Hey guys I have a Bryant heat pump system and the compressor kicks on but the fan doesn't blow even when I set the thermostat to Fan ON. I replaced the thermostat but that didn't cure the issue. I thought it might be the thermostat because it was the original and the heat pump is only 3 years old. I can't find the receipt and the company is out of business. I recall a 10yr parts 5 yr labor warranty from Bryant.

If it's something simple im not scared to open it up and troubleshoot. Any suggestions on where to start? I have successfully installed a minisplit before which I know is not the same, but I'm just saying I can probably handle the job with a little guidance.

I appreciate it!

Old 05-26-16, 02:00 PM
S
Are talking about the inside blower or outside fan?

Old 05-26-16, 02:38 PM
M
Sorry to specify. The inside blower motor is not working. The compressor is fine.

Old 05-26-16, 02:45 PM
M
Is there anything on the outside compressor that tells the inside fan to kick on? I'm hoping its that. I have a voltmeter. It would probably help if I had the model number. It's a rental and i won't be back until Monday. Does the 7 wires at the thermostat lead to the compressor or to the inside unit. I looked at the inside unit and only saw 2 maybe 8 gauge wires going to the unit and I imagine those feed the "emergency heat". There are 2 60a breakers on the inside unit as well. I didn't take a look at the outside compressor but I could hear it running and the inside unit was all wet caused from the coil just sitting there getting cold and no fan to blow on it.

Old 05-26-16, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,924 Upvotes on 3,520 Posts
If it's a rental why are you attempting to service it ?

The condensor doesn't tell the blower what to do.
Don't allow the condensor to run without the blower running too.

The thermostat wiring goes to the air handler and then to the condensor.

Old 05-26-16, 05:05 PM
M
Because it's my rental. I own it. I don't want to pay someone for something Incan do myself. Thanks for letting me know that the wiring goes to the air handler. I just didn't see it but I didn't take the cover off to look. I just looked for the wires which must come through the back side of it.

Old 05-27-16, 08:44 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like it's well within the parts warranty, so if it turns out to be serious, e.g. blower motor, you could probably contact Bryant for replacement. Of course the labor is what costs, so naturally there's no warranty on that ...

A first troubleshooting step would be to verify that the Fan signal from the thermostat to the air handler is present when the thermostat is set to fan ON. Measure the voltage between the Blower wire (usually Green) contact and Common in the air handler control board - should be approx 24 AC with the thermostat fan ON.
If nothing, then track down why: could be bad connection, bad wire, no power, etc.
If 24VAC at the control board Blower connection, twouble ...
Make sure all connectors in the Air handler are well seated , screws tight etc.

Old 05-27-16, 09:36 AM
M
Thanks for your tips. I will be sure the green wire has 24v when the fan is in the on position. If that doesn't do it, make sure all connections are torqued down inside the air handler. I can handle that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: