No heat or cooling on heat pump

Old 05-28-16, 06:50 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No heat or cooling on heat pump

I have a Coleman heat pump Model SSZ140301 and furnace GMH950703BX the unit has stopped working, I was trying to trouble shoot the problem and found that the defrost board had three resisters so hot that they would burn you fingers so assuming the board was bad replace it and steal having the same problem.

When I disconnect the low side pressure switch the problem of the hot resisters goes away, with the LPS connected, when you energize the 24V transformer after a period of four or five minutes the transformer get hot, have burnt one up so far, so installed a 3A fuse in the 24V side I am assuming that there is a dead short but have been unable to find one, have disconnected wires going to heat pump and checked for shorts, have isolated thermostat completely from the system also replaced the contact switch in the heat pump, I have checked the wires on the LPS to ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-16, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your equipment is Goodman.

It sounds like you have a shorted contactor coil. The link below should be the one your unit uses. There are many different replacements that will replace that one.

Contactor CONT2P025024VS Repair Clinic

In the picture below I labeled where the 24vac connects on each side of the contactor. Turn power off to the condensor. The contactor is powered from the furnace. Disconnect the two 24vac wires and see if your short is gone. You can also measure the resistance of the contactor coil.... it should be around 10-15 ohms.

Name:  gc.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 05-31-16, 09:52 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for you reply. I had already replace the contact switch it was bad. Finally found the problem had a short in the thermostat wire checked it several time don't know how I missed it. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: