Indoor fan not turning on

Old 08-03-16, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Indoor fan not turning on

The indoor blower stopped working. The outside heatpump works fine. I have turned the thermostat to fan only and still the fan doesn't come on. Circuit breakers are all on.

For now I have turned the breakers off.

The unit says Kelvinator on it and also Nordyne model GB5BV - T30K - B

Thermostat is a Honeywell digital unit. Battery is weak so will replace that first.

Where should I start troubleshooting?

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-03-16 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-16, 08:12 AM
Replacing batteries in thermostat didn't help.

So..., I opened up the panel just below the blower and what I see isn't good. There is a pad in there that soaks up water and it is drenched. The control board looks corroded. It's greenish powderish looking and when turned the breaker on, I hear a slight sizzling sound. I think it's shortening. But why did the breaker not trip?

Old 08-03-16, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
But why did the breaker not trip?
The breaker only trips when too much current flows on a circuit. The sizzling sound is likely a bad connection, not a "short".

I would turn off the power and clean all the wire connections and terminals. Take a picture before you start in case something falls off by mistake.

Old 08-03-16, 10:11 AM
How and with what should I clean all connections? Picture taking is a great idea! So many wires!

Old 08-03-16, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
That "pad" that soaked up water sounds like the air filter. It sounds like the condensate drain may be plugged allowing the water to overflow the pan.

If the board is corroded.... that will most likely need to be replaced.

We can better advise you after seeing the pictures. If the actual control board IS corroded.... cleaning it probably will not help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-03-16, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
If you want to try cleaning the terminals and wire connections use a small metal brush (steel or brass toothbrush) or some fine grit sand paper.

Old 08-03-16, 11:17 AM
Will try and add pictures to my post later today.

Board after cleaning does not look corroded at all.

Hoping for the best

Old 08-03-16, 12:14 PM
Cleaning the control board did not help. No more sizzling sound, just a very light buzz from something electrical but nothing alarming.

Still no blower, but heatpump runs. Have turned everything off again.

How do I rule things out? How do I rule out the thermostat for example or capacitor?

Old 08-04-16, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
- Do you have 24v between the C (common) and G (usually green wire) terminals when the blower is supposed to be on ? between C and R-
- One thing that often works with wet circuit boards is to put them in a warm dry place for a while - some folks recommend a warm oven but maybe safer to sit it in the sun. It might be a pain to remove the board so try a gentle flow of warm air from a hairdryer, say. Sounds hokey but often works; just be careful not to get it too hot.
- As for eliminating the thermostat altogether ... disconnect the thermostat wires at the board; take a picture first so you can put them back in the right places. See that you have 24voltsAC on the red wire - measure voltage between R and C if 24VAC ... then connect a jumper wire from R to G (usually where the green wire from the thermostat connects.
- also, when you are troubleshooting the blower with the thermostat connected, set the thermostat to blower always on and the temperature settings so that the demand temperature is the same as the ambient temperature so that the heat pump outdoor won't get activated.