A/C losing refrigerant: am I being stiffed.

Old 08-08-16, 09:20 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C losing refrigerant: am I being stiffed.

I had a new electric heating and A/C installed in 7/3013. I presumed there was a warranty on it. Last week i got the same tech out as a/c was not working. He said it needed refrigerant because of a leak. He said he put in 5 lbs refrigerant and didnt mention if he repaired the leak. My question is should a 3 yr old a/c unit need 5 lbs of refrigerant every 5 years? Thanks for any advice before i contact him regarding the warranty.Little old lady in TN.

Old 08-08-16, 09:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It's a closed system so there should be no need to add refrigerant unless there is a leak. While summer is not necessarily the best time to find a leak, he should have said something about attempting to do so at some point.

Old 08-08-16, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Warranty.....
On the equipment usually up to five years.... and sometimes more.
On the installation..... usually one year.

At three years after install you are out of the installation warranty, unless the installer offered a longer plan, since a leak is usually considered an installation issue.

That being said.... the leak could also be caused by a defective piece of equipment that would be under warranty. I would hope the installing company would be helpful here.

should a 3 yr old a/c unit need 5 lbs of refrigerant every 5 years?
Ask your technician and then ask him how the EPA would address that question.
An EPA certified tech cannot knowingly refill a system with a major leak like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: