Heat pump electrical question

Old 10-23-16, 10:48 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump electrical question

Hi - I'm new to this forum (lots of good info). Hopefully I can ask this question intelligently. I have a question about the wiring for my air handler - I want to duct the heat from my wood stove into my heat pump ducting via an external thermostat and an electrical damper controlled by that thermostat to open and close. My question - I would like for the wood stove electrical damper to stay closed if the heat pump fan is not running. Is that possible? And if so, which wire(s) would I connect to from the wood stove thermostat?
Heat pump is Trane XL15i (model 4TWX5048A1000AA)
Air handler is Trane Variable Speed (model 4TEE3F65B1000A)
Heat pump Thermostat is Trane TCONT800
I would appreciate any help and advise. Thanks.

Old 10-23-16, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I need a lot more information than that. I'd need a make and model of your wood stove or a wiring diagram of what it has.

What damper and thermostat are you using ?

You need to think thru the logic. Normally when the wood stove gets hot.... it tells the blower to turn on and the damper to open. Once using the wood stove the heat pump might not run.

Old 10-24-16, 08:32 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help - I apologize for not including enough info and detail. You are correct that I haven't completely thought this through. I'm still trying to determine exactly what I want and was wondering if it was possible to connect the wood stove thermostat to the heat pump air handling system. I haven't installed anything yet (i.e no thermostat, ducting, blower, damper). What I'm thinking is that I would capture the hot air coming off the wood stove and move it into the heat pump ducting to evenly heat the house. Currently, the wood stove is in the basement (unfinished) and the heat doesn't get much further than the trusses above it. One idea was to install and set a wood stove thermostat to a certain temperature so it would start the blower (and open the damper) - but only if the temperature on the main floor was such that the heat pump was running. I don't think the wood stove blower would have enough power to circulate the air through the ducts in my house by itself (but I don't know that yet). My house is not large, but I do have a number of rooms and considerable amount of ductwork. Once the main floor area got warm enough, the heat pump would cut off - which would trigger the wood stove thermostat to close the damper and fan. I may be looking at this completely wrong, so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-16, 05:11 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is your AHU in the basement? Why not turn the fan to on and let it circulate the air in the house?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: