AUX heat seems inoperative with heatpump

Old 12-01-16, 12:08 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AUX heat seems inoperative with heatpump

Hi everyone just had some questions with my heat pump in the home I moved into. I moved in about 6 months ago and I installed a Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat around the same time. I hooked it up identical to the Honeywell non-Wi-Fi model it replaced. AC seemed to work fine, as it started getting cooler outside I wanted to test the heat strips out on a day when I had the windows open just to push out any smells. I set the stat to emergency heat and let it run about 10 minutes however no heat came out, just room temperature air. I didn't worry too much of it because the heat pump worked fine in the normal heat mode.

However I now notice my thermostat will kick on Auxiliary heat when it tries to recover from a few degrees, which does absolutely nothing extra because the strips never energize. At first I thought the thermostat was hooked up incorrectly because the O and W1 wires seem to be swapped compared to the normal convention I see online. My orange wire goes to W1 and the white goes to O. If I reverse the 2 wires (O to O and W to W1) I get only heat in cool and heat modes and still no aux heat. So the reversing valve seems to be the white wire. And the O wire seems to do nothing. There is also a black AUX wire that doesnít seem to do anything.

I see a lot of people on here complaining the AUX heat uses too much money and they try to disable it so maybe I should just leave it alone but I personally would like everything hooked up properly.

So a couple things here.. I have a 3.5 ton package AC unit on my roof that is about 5 years old. I suppose it is possible I donít even have heat strips but that seems pretty unlikely out here especially with no backup heat. If the unit was on the ground I would just run out and look but before I go up there again I was wondering if it was common practice for techs to not even hook up the AUX heat.

Old 12-01-16, 01:40 PM
S
Aux heat is factory wired, unless the strips were added on.

Old 12-01-16, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,485 Votes on 1,373 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

AUX heat is activated when the room temperature is 3 or more degrees below the setpoint.
The stat assumes the heatpump can't keep up so it runs the heatpump and the heat strips.

If you want the heat strips to only work when you want them to.... they need to be on the E terminal.
If you wanted it wired properly you would connect the AUX and E together with a jumper.

As far as what colors were used for what.... you'd need to check at the air handler.

Old 12-01-16, 05:09 PM
E
I have the aux and emergency wires connected together on the stat. I'm going to try to get up there this weekend to see what all the wires look like. Should I expect a mess or are the air handler wires usually pretty neat?

Old 12-01-16, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Should I expect a mess or are the air handler wires usually pretty neat?
From what I've seen from members pictures.... more are messes than neat.

Old 12-01-16, 08:48 PM
E
Its a package unit so hopefully it's just the wires going down to the thermostat that were incorrectly hooked up.

Old 12-03-16, 05:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I have seen posters from Arizona that do not have heat strips installed in their heat pumps.

You might verify that you can see the control side of the heat strips while in there.

Old 12-03-16, 09:50 AM
E
I was up there today and I don't see any heat strips. I do see what appears to be a defrost board though so maybe Im just looking in the wrong spot?

Old 12-03-16, 12:02 PM
E
I tried posting but it hasn't popped up yet so I apologize if this is a double post. I went up there today and didn't see any heat strips unless they are buried in something. I did see a defrost board which seemed weird to me because if the unit goes into defrost won't it blow ice cold air into the house?

Old 12-03-16, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
New members are automatically limited to posting more than five pics until they've more than 10 posts.

Your pictures have been approved and should be visible now.
In those pictures I don't see any heat strips or controllers.

Usually with heat strips the unit will have very large breakers..... like 60A-70A.
Yours as a packaged unit with no electric heat should be on a 35A-40A breaker.

Yes.... when it goes into defrost.... it could blow cold air into the house.

Old 12-03-16, 12:34 PM
E
Thanks for the heads up.

The wiring is pretty think and it is on a 60 amp breaker. In the first photo there is a grey cover screwed on, in looks like that is the spot they would normally reside. If i can find the install kit cheap I may throw in a 5kw just for when January rolls around otherwise ill just leave it alone.

Old 12-03-16, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Look for the location where the main power wires enter the unit. They would have to branch off and go to the heaters.

60A is awful large for just a packaged heatpump.

There should be an ID plate on the unit. The model number would tell us the features.
It would also have the amps rating on it.

Old 12-03-16, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The pictures with the transformer appear to show the blank plate that is removed when installing heat strips. It looks like you do not have strips installed.

If you post the make and model we may be able to bring up the manual.

Old 12-04-16, 09:41 PM
E
Yeah there is definitely just a blank spacer there. I can buy a 5 kw kit on eBay for $100 but I'm not sure its even worth it. It got into the low 30s this weekend and it didn't seem to have issues. Adding the strip may just make my bill a lot higher.

This is not the original unit that was on the house so maybe the original needed 60 amps. The model number is PHN442000K00A1

Old 12-04-16, 11:37 PM
Group Moderator
In your location..... just keep the temperature set to one temperature and the heat pump should maintain fine for you.

Should be on a 50A breaker.

Some manuals for you......

SERVICE.pdf

SPECS.pdf

OWNERS.pdf

Old 01-13-17, 08:18 AM
E
Thank you for the manuals those helped. I put the 5 kw heater in last weekend. Pretty painless install but it initially didn't work. It turns out my thermostat wiring was all over the place, spliced in several locations and damaged under the unit.I reran the entire line and now is all good. The pump pulls ~16 amps and the heat and pump together pulls ~36 amps. This should now be plenty of heat for the place. Seems pretty stable at the moment but I did hear it go into defrost the other morning for only about 10 seconds then it appeared to switch back over. Not sure what that was about. It was also in the high 40s outside.

Old 01-13-17, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Good idea rerunning the stat cable. No fun trying to get splices to stay working outside.
The 5K should be a perfect size for your area.

Thanks for letting us know how you made out. Good job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: