Thermostat/heat pump question

Old 12-23-16, 11:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat/heat pump question

We recently bought a home and received a Nest 3 from our electric company when we opened our account with them. I wondering if we have installed the thermostat correctly.

We have a Lennox Elite Series CBX27UH air handler and ECB29. This is our first experience with a heat pump and it seems to be struggling to keep the home warm. We are in south central Pennsylvania and the temp has been around 28-32 for the past 2 weeks or so. The unit seems to be running continuously and not getting up to the set temperature of 72, it is hovering around 69/70.

My main question with the switch to the Nest, there was a white wire going into the E with a jumper from E to W2/AUX on the previous thermostat. Where should this go on the Nest? The * for E? Or into W2/AUX? And do I still use the jumper? The Nest instructions said that jumpers weren't required, but I've seen online that others still use them. I've included a picture of how the original thermostat was installed.

I'm wondering if we need to have someone how to look at it, or if this is how a heat pump is supposed to function (continuous running). Or if we have the Nest installed incorrectly. Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74755[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 12:46 PM
S
Sounds like your backup heat is not coming on. Can you post a pic of the new stat wiring ? I would wire it the same as the old stat.

Last edited by skaggsje; 12-23-16 at 12:50 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-23-16, 01:44 PM
S
I have the white wire going directly into the W2/AUX right now. So you would have it go into * (E) with a jumper to W2/AUX as it was with the previous thermostat? I was confused a bit by the Nest installation instructions - they said the jumpers weren't needed so I was unsure how to handle that particular wire.
I'm at work, I'll get a picture of the wires/installation as soon as I get back home!

Old 12-23-16, 01:57 PM
S
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74759[/ATTACH]

Current installation for the Nest 3

Attached Images