Weird smell from vents

Old 05-02-17, 07:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird smell from vents

I had a strange almost like a light 'fishy' smell that came from the vents this evening but it didn't last long it just came & went. I then cycled the unit from heat to cool back to heat & cool again calling for Aux in heat mode just to see if it would do the dreaded DSS but it wasn't that.

So anyone else encounter such a problem briefly?

Old 05-02-17, 08:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just want to update, it seems it did it again! But I have narrowed it down to heat mode only. Cooling mode doesn't do it. Its a weird almost like a fish smell when Aux mode is running - Its not the burning smell you get when they kick on this is different.

I was in the attic to smell around to see if I could smell w/o opening the air handler. So tomorrow when its day light I plan on opening the handler, would there be anything specific I should pay close attention too?

Old 05-03-17, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The coils are cool with the cooling cycle and have moisture on them. Changing it to heat will require the coils to evaporate that moisture and that is what you are smelling. Nothing out of the ordinary. Keeping your coils clean is paramount to good operation, so you should be doing that at each season change. I have a maintenance program on mine where the installer comes in twice a year and cleans the coils, oils the motor, checks the evacuation pump for proper operation and changes the filter. Best $75 spent to keep me from having to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: