Think my aux heat is running with heat pump

Old 01-14-18, 09:06 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Think my aux heat is running with heat pump

So to start out my unit is a Lennox cb28uh-036-230-01 with a carrier ComfortChoice theromstat

Last year I had a problem right after the smart thermostat was installed by my electric company (smart hours) during the summer all seemed well. then that winter my heat on this unit wasn't very good, heat wasn't working correctly. I had them come back out and check to make sure they had it wired right, and they said it was that I need to have a HVAC Pro come out. So I did, well the found something miswired in the unit they said after 2 hours trying to figure out where the issue was. After that it did work good, outside unit runs like it supposed to it seems. The problem was when I got my electric bill and I had used 4500kw where as before same time prior year I never used over 2500kw and it was colder (with original thermostat not smart one). Made it though 3 months of cold and most bills were over 3500kw. Now this winter has only really started within the last month. I run my thermostat on 68 all day never changes. Just got my bill for last month and I used ~3500kw. Normal summer months I use around 1800-2500kw with the pool pump going 18hrs a day.

So my thinking is, while the heat pump is going, I think that my electric secondary heat is running with it every time as well. Is it something they wired incorrectly, or do I have some sensor messed up that is telling the electric heat to run with the heat pump? I just don't know enough about this system do figure out what is going on. I have verified though everytime the unit is kicking on I have 120vac on every heating coil, and the outside unit is running. What could be going on, wired incoretlly? I am very mechanically inclined and good with a VOM.

Old 01-14-18, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to check for 240v on the heating elements. Since only one leg of the power is switched..... there will always be 120v present on the elements.

Check the elements end to end.... not end to ground.

Old 01-14-18, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I would pop the cover of the EIM and verify that the Aux wire is on W2 instead of W.
( The manual shows it on W but Aux wil run less on W2)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: