Weird noise from Goodman outdoor unit fan

Old 01-16-18, 11:26 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird noise from Goodman outdoor unit fan

So it has been 4 years since I posted here. I sold the old house 3-1/2 years ago and bought another not far away. The funny thing is it was the same age as my other house (built in 2000) and has the same identical Goodman CPKJ30-1AB outdoor unit and Goodman A32-10 indoor unit. I figure it is probably or has reached its life expectancy. First I want to thank-you folks here for helping me keep the other system going, truly yall were a big help in walking me through how to fix things which I did.
Now to the issue at hand which may be no issue at all. This winter I started to get an unusual intermittent noise from the outdoor unit motor/fan. Sounds almost like a blade is bent and causing a little vibration. The coils are not iced up or dirty when this happens. I called a tech who I have used before, pretty good guy and he took the top off and checked the motor. No side to side play on the shaft but there was up and down play. He said the blade looked fine. Of course it was not making the noise when he was there but I had recorded it for him. He told me he could replace the motor for 400 bucks but if it were him he would just let it be. I had him do a system check while he was there and he said I was at 80 psi on refrigerant so he topped it off to a bit over 100psi where I should be. I asked him if he thought I had a leak and he said it could be micro holes in the coil. He also told me the compressor had been replaced in 2007. Anyway he charged me 160 bucks which is probably not that bad around here. So first since it is intermittent should I worry much about the noise? I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. Second I have access to wholesale OEM parts and can get the motor for around 100 bucks and will need the start capacitor too I take it. Is this a very hard job? As usually thanks for the any help.

Old 01-16-18, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,337 Votes on 1,235 Posts
Just to be sure..... are you sure it's a fan related noise ?
Sometimes the units are noisy when switching in and out of defrost.

Make sure there is no ice on the blades either.

If it is indeed the fan motor.... get the motor and the correct cap for it.
It's a fairly easy to replace the motor.

Old 01-16-18, 06:45 PM
R
Yea its not the defrost mode. I know what that sounds like. I went out there just now and it is doing it. Sounds like the motor/fan is a little off balance and has a slight rattle. You hear a little different noise too from the airflow of the fan than usual. The fan is not hitting anything. At first it seemed like it was related to temperature. When it got to freezing or below it did it but not so much above. Went out this morning and it was running smooth at 19 degrees and it is 42 now and doing it. Other than that it is working. I am not too worried about it as long as it dosen't mess anything else up. Just curious as to what might happen when it goes south. Will the motor just not work?

Old 01-16-18, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,337 Votes on 1,235 Posts
The motor won't spin and the compressor will shut down on thermal overload.

Old 01-17-18, 02:52 PM
R
OK that helps. At least if it happens soon I can switch over to the heat strips and run my electric bill up until I can get it done. Also got a wood burning stove which I run when I am here. Afraid to let the wife run it as she would just keep stuffing logs in until it glowed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: