Bryant electric heat pump runs all the time

Old 01-19-18, 02:50 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bryant electric heat pump runs all the time

My Bryant 15 seer electric heat pump is approximately 5 years old. Itís been in the single digits at night for about a week. Both the indoor and outdoor unit come on by the thermostat and the House reaches temp on the stat ( 72 ). Once the stat shows 72 , both units stay running. Even if I turn down the stat settings. If I turn the heat to the off position, then both units will shut off like they should. They just wonít shut off by the stat when temp is reached in the house. No sign of auxiliary power being on by the display window on stat and outdoor unit is not freezing up and in defrost mode. Any ideas?

Old 01-19-18, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,615 Votes on 1,487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thermostats don't turn on and off at the exact set temperature. They allow a degree or so in both directions. They also show as a two digit number on the display but the circuitry uses tenths of a degree for processing.

If you have it set to 72 and it doesn't shut off... the heat would continue to rise until the room temperature was over the set temperature. Does that happen ?

Try it at 71. Allow it to continue heating and see if it shuts off before the display reaches 72.

Old 02-03-18, 02:26 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It doesnít heat past the set thermostat setting but both the indoor and outdoor units stay running. Even when the 72 degrees has been reached in the house, it just stays running until I shot it down on the thermostat

Old 02-03-18, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,615 Votes on 1,487 Posts
In other words..... you had it set for 71f and the room temperature reached 72f and it still didn't shut off ?

I'm trying to determine if the thermostat is just off by a degree or is defective. If it doesn't shut off if over 1f then it could indicate a defective thermostat.

Set it to 69f. See where it shuts off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: