Goodman Heat Pump with Emerson Climate Comfort Alert Control Board 4762H

Old 01-27-18, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Heat Pump with Emerson Climate Comfort Alert Control Board 4762H

Hiya. I posted this in case it helps someone else. I have a Goodman Heat Pump equipped with an Emerson Climate Technologies Comfort Alert 4762H Control Board. The Heat Pump was dormant for a number of weeks in very cold weather. Weather warmed up, and I turned it on. Nothing. Waited for a while thinking it was in a long defrost cycle even though no ice on coil and weather was in the + 50 F. Looked at the Control Board and had a blinking Y1 LED (Red), a blinking DS5 LED (Green Communication Status), and a blinking LED (Yellow) in the middle of a horizontal row of three LED's. Red/Yellow/Red. The silkscreened caption above these three LED's read ACTIVE PROTECTION and a small arrow led from caption to the LED (Red) on right. I attached a picture.
Well, I turned the unit off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. Unit runs. So, anyone have a technical answer for why this worked? I took another look at the panel after the hard restart and the Y1 LED is out, the DS5 Communication LED is flashing green, but the LED (Yellow) under the ACTIVE PROTECTION caption is flashing 8 times quickly then turning off for about a 1/2 second.
I'll tell you what, in this day and age you would think that that Board would be happy to talk to you as soon as that panel was pulled off and tell you what's wrong.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-18, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The 8 flash fault code shows a shorted contactor issue which means the compressor won't stop running, That doesn't sound like your problem there.

Yellow “ALERT” Flash Code 8
Welded Contactor - Compressor always runs
Thermostat demand signal not connected to module