Rheem reset tripping on heat pump

Old 02-23-18, 10:23 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem reset tripping on heat pump

I have two Rheem heat pumps on zones. They have a reset on the outside unit, red button. I have new filters inside ane the coils were cleaned last fall. One of the units keeps tripping the reset button. This seems to happen overnight. It also seems to happen on colder nights.

In the morning, I can go out and push the button and it runs fine all day.

Two HVAC techs have suggested that the switch may be going bad and I could just bypass it.

I am not experienced in HVAC but I am trained/experienced in electronics and we don't normally but a fuse or breaker in a circuit if it would be OK to bypass it.

I was all so told the switch could be replaced but it would be expensive since these are older units and the refrigerant would have to be drained and replaced. This was by one of those technicians.

Since it runs fine after pressing the button, I am not sure if the system has a problem or indeed the reset is indeed failing. I don't mind paying for a repair but I want to get it right the first time.

I have not had any problems with the main power breakers.

Thank you for any assistance.

Old 02-23-18, 11:26 AM
S
Those switches rarely go bad. I wouldn't bypass it, Unless it is confirmed that it's bad.

Old 02-23-18, 07:52 PM
R
Received 112 Votes on 106 Posts
That’s the manual reset high pressure switch. Your unit is having a high pressure issue.
Is it failing in heating or cooling mode?
Do NOT bypass it. The switch is likely doing it’s job protecting the unit.
There are means of replacing the switch without dealing with refrigerant.
If the unit does have to be reclaimed, the reclaimed refrigerant can be reused. It doesn’t need to be replaced.

Old 02-24-18, 09:16 AM
W
Heating mode

I don't know if this will fail in cooling mode at this time. I am using heat right now. I know these units are fairly old but they still seem to work.

So what would be causing the high-pressure condition? The coils and filters are not dirty. The fan seems to turn freely. I have good air movement at the vents. I have not been up to look at the inside unit yet.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-24-18, 11:15 AM
R
Received 112 Votes on 106 Posts
Dirty coil, dirty filter, dirty blower wheel, collapsed duct, insufficient airflow, blower motor shutting down in mid cycle, blower motor set to wrong speed, failing blower motor, failing blower capacitor,, incorrect charge, refrigerant system blockage, defrost problem are a few that come to mind.
Remember, heating still runs cooling every so often for defrost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: