Goodman Heat Pump Worth Repairing?

Old 07-13-18, 03:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman Heat Pump Worth Repairing?

Hi,
I have a 14 year old Goodman Heat pump.Model CPLJ30-1A. It has a leak in the reversing Valve. It is still heating and cooling (maybe 6 degrees cooler than ambient) but only putting out 17PSI according to the tech who looked at it. He said it should be 55 PSI It also takes R22 Freon at $50+ per pound.
The valve is about $100 plus install of maybe $200 and could take 8 pounds or more of Freon. So might be looking at $700 PLUS to repair it. A new system will be $8-10K since I need to replace the Air Handler too.
Was wondering if it's worth repairing? The tech said there is no guarantee that is the only leak. Any thoughts from you pros'?

Old 07-14-18, 02:53 AM
S
I see a red flag..... $300 to replace reversing valve?? That price is way to low. Did he show you where the leak is?

Old 07-14-18, 03:45 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
when maintenance exceeds depreciation - replace

Old 07-14-18, 08:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Originally Posted by skaggsje
I see a red flag..... $300 to replace reversing valve?? That price is way to low. Did he show you where the leak is?
Skaggssje,
The part is $90 on Amazon, he said it would take about 2 hours at 75/hour plus freon which is the biggest expense. He is a guy who use to work for a major HVAC company and starting out on his own. He did show me the valve. It is very oily. The freon is the biggest cost.
What do you think it would cost? I live north of Portland Or.

Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: