Heat pump questions & thermostat repairs

Old 07-30-18, 08:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump questions & thermostat repairs

I have a carrier heat pump, with cool, heat and supp heat. New to the system as we bought the house last year. Outdoor unit was switched off, when we flipped the breaker we had ac! Checked filter, pretty clear. Outdoor unit is clean, coils look great. Capacitor is not bulged, when you press in the switch unit comes right on( both fan and compressor). Thermostat inside is mercury and coils are very corroded. Temperature sensor bimetallic coil is buried pas 80, all the time. Something is wrong now because the ac comes on very intermittently. Questions.....
1. We need a new thermostat, correct?
2. We need a thermostat for auxiliary heat?
3. What might be the issue?

Any my help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-18, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to get a handle on the problems. A meter would be extremely helpful in diagnosing the problem. You've confirmed AC to the outside condenser by pushing in the contactor manually.

Does the inside blower come on when calling for A/C but not the outside condenser ?

You could be looking at a defective thermostat or the system could be low on refrigerant. There is a low pressure switch that will keep the condenser from coming on if the system is low on refrigerant.

Old 07-31-18, 05:29 AM
Yes, the fan does come on if I switch it to on. Depending upon where the mercury coil is the fan will come on/off in auto. I believe itís the thermostat. I would like to upgrade it regardless. I need a non Wi-Fi non programmable. But I need on for heat pumps with auxiliary backup? Correct?

Old 07-31-18, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
But I need one for heat pump with auxiliary backup?
Yes.... that is correct.
Most thermostats will handle a heat pump system. Just make sure it says also for AUX heat.
If your old stat has emergency heat.... look for that in the new one too.

We can help you wire it when you get it. Just tell us what you purchased and post a picture of the wiring on the existing thermostat. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 08-07-18, 05:23 PM
Still searching for new thermostat.
More questions.....if r and g turn on fan(inside) but r and y donít start compressor and fan outside, is it still the thermostat?

If i had a blown fuse, where would that be and what would it look like?

also the contactor only now starts the blower fan, compressor is not running

Old 08-07-18, 05:38 PM
Also, do heat pumps not run as efficiently when the outside temperature is near inside temp? For ac?

How much does humidity affect them?