Too many wires!

Old 09-30-18, 04:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Too many wires!

Thought I'd have an easy task swapping out 1960's Electric Baseboard heaters with new Electric/Hydronic ones, no such luck! The first one I tried had 2 white (neutral?) & 2 black (live?) cables from the House mains (see attached) and the heater wiring instructions (also attached) are of course meaningless to me :-( From what I can see, one each of the white & black wires can be capped, how should the remaining black & white cables be connected? The cabling on the old heaters is not the same as the new ones, as I assumed they would be, so I can't "copy" what was there before!

Any assistance/guidance on how they should be connected would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Attached Images    

Last edited by twilsonny; 09-30-18 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add Image of old heater & wiring
Old 09-30-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If those two NM cables were connected white to white and black to black...... the power feeds in there and goes on to somewhere else. Are those self contained heaters or is there a wall thermostat.

Old 09-30-18, 05:39 PM
T
Hey Pete, thanks for the prompt response, the original heater had 2 black wires (see new attachment),
1) the top black heater wire was connected to one white wire from the house mains;
2) the bottom black heater wire was connected to one black wire from the house mains;

The remaining house mains wires (1 black, 1 white) were both left bare, no caps, nothing.

Since the original post, I've removed the covers from the remaining 8 heaters to find one other with the same setup, the rest just have 2 black wires, the top wires are connected to the white neutral from the mains, with the bottom black wire to black from the mains.

Each room has their own wall thermostat, controlling 1 or more heaters. The 2 with the multiple wires have 3 & 4 heaters respectively.

Hope that helps draw a more complete picture!

Terry

Old 10-01-18, 06:39 AM
B
Received 113 Votes on 99 Posts
The heater in the picture is a single controlled unit or the last in a multiple controlled configuration. With the room t'stat on, use a voltmeter to find which black/white pair are providing 240vac. The other black/white pair should have 0 vac and should be capped off . After opening the feed breaker (verify 0 vac on powered pair) remove the orange wire nut containing 2 wires on the new baseboard. Connect one to the white and the other to the black of the powered pair. Close the feed breaker and you should be in business.

Old 10-01-18, 09:34 AM
T
Hey Bob, thanks, I connected the first one, so I'll do the same in the other unit with the same setup that's in another room, then finish connecting the rest up. Most rooms have at least 2 units, with a thermostat in each room, so I could not understand why they were not all the same. Guess if it's 1 or 2 heaters in a room, that's not considered "multiple", only if it's more than 2 per room/thermostat?

Thanks again, hopefully I'll have them all working before the real cold sets in!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: