Upgrade Heat Coils?

Old 10-29-18, 04:07 AM
Upgrade Heat Coils?

I have been looking into how to better heat my house this winter with my current HVAC system. I have very little knowledge with HVAC systems so this is also me trying to get a general understanding of it all. My guess would be that upgrading my heating coils to a higher Kw would help but again little knowledge. I have attached pictures of my current system, we have only went through 1 winter with this system and last year was pretty cold.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-18, 04:31 AM
Coils would be on the refrigeration circuit and KW would be the amount of heat from electric resistance heat. Id start off with a heat load for your home. This will tell you how much heating and cooling you need. this is the first step without this its a guess.

Old 10-29-18, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
First, why don't you tell use where you live and why you think your current system needs upgrading? Is the current system unable to properly heat the home?

Old 10-29-18, 04:53 AM
Sorry, again I have little knowledge on the situation, but would like to know more so my lack of provided information shows that. We currently live in the Baltimore area of Maryland, the system is new (less than 2 years old).

Our second flood has trouble staying a comfortable temperature (fairly cold or hot) and I can only assume that's because its the furthest from the unit, since that is located in the basement. During the summer we use a portable AC unit to help offset the heat and last winter we had to use a space heater to help the chill. The main floor stays decently comfortable except with how the vents are placed, moving furniture around helps that out though. The basement stays chilled or cold even though its a finished, I can only assume thats because of the ground temp always being a little cooler year round.

I am really trying to find the most help during the winter when its starts to get really cold to help my family be more comfortable without having to pile on extra clothing.

Old 10-29-18, 05:16 AM
Is that a heat pump?
If so the most efficient way of operating the system is to leave the temperature setpoint consistent and not use the electric heat.
The issues you’ve described are duct related. Not unit related.
The basement is a much different environment then the rest of the house. It’s best conditioned via a separate system.
It’s unreasonable to expect a single unzoned unit to condition 3 different floors to the same consistent temperature.
A bigger unit, or in your case a larger electric heat package, should never be considered an upgrade.

Edit-you do have a heat pump. It’s most efficient keeping the electric heat off. Do you set the temperature up and down during the day?

Old 10-29-18, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
The backup/emergency heat strips you mentioned are not normally used. They are only there for unusually cold times when the heat pump can't generate enough heat. So, 95% of the time they aren't being used... so replacing them with larger won't have any affect on your problem most of the time.

Heating multiple floors with one zone/unit is always a compromise. One thing to check is airflow. In order for a forced air system to work the air must be able to move. Closing room doors cuts off the air's ability to get back to the return which greatly reduces the heating and cooling to that closed room. Keeping room doors open can help improve heating and cooling.

You could also have a HVAC person in to review your system. They might be able to come up with some reasonably priced like dampers or duct boosters to improve flow to the difficult upper floor.