Heat pump iced up

Old 11-14-18, 07:35 PM
Heat pump iced up

My 4 ton good man heat pump is freezing up,I don't hear the swish noise in the basement like the reversevalve is working but my ac works and the heat works so could it be a defrost issue and if I turn on the AC would that defrost my outside unit,just wondering.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-18, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are you talking about the outside condenser freezing up when in heating mode ?

If you are in heating mode the condenser should defrost automatically. For a heat pump to defrost...... it is run in the A/C mode and uses warm air from inside the house to defrost the condenser outside. Some units defrost when a sensor senses ice and some defrost every xx hours of run time. A system low on refrigerant will also freeze up quickly.

Old 11-15-18, 09:06 PM
Yes the outside unit doesn't defrost and my unit doesn't turn off and the temp is only about 30 degrees,so if my account and heat still work does that mean it's not the reverse valve,and maybe a timer or sensor,it's on a good man 4 ton unit

Old 11-16-18, 02:07 AM
You need to call for a service tech well versed in heat-pumps. By your description I have to assume a defective defrost control, ice build-up sensor or other control that initiates or controls the defrost cycle. You can not turn the unit onto A/C to get the outdoor to defrost. There is more to the defrost cycle than just running the unit on A/C.

Old 11-16-18, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
my unit doesn't turn off
You need to be specific with the problem. What doesn't turn off ?

Defrost is running the system in A/C mode BUT the condenser fan is cycled to maintain the proper amount of heat transfer so just putting the system into A/C manually is not the most effective way to defrost the unit.

With a full model number of the outside condenser I may be able to help you further but on your part you will most likely need a meter to make tests.