Heat Pump Iced Up

Old 11-17-18, 02:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Iced Up

I have a Rheem heat pump (paper work says model #RP1542AJ1NA) that was installed in 2015. I moved into the house in 2016.

It's currently iced over, frost/ice covering the entire outside and inside as well as an ice coating over the top of the unit (see attachment).

We had an ice storm earlier this week, I'm thinking that may have caused the problem. I'd like to thaw it out so I can keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. What is the best way to do that?

Attached Images  

Last edited by salguod; 11-17-18 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Fixed model #
Old 11-17-18, 03:17 PM
S
After reading on a few sites that I can use a hose to remove the ice build up, I spent probably 30-45 minutes doing just that. It's above freezing now (37F) and is not supposed to drop below tonight (35F for a low).

My plan is to leave my system on AUX overnight and put it back on normal in the morning. I'll then keep an eye on it to see if it freezes up again. There was a layer plain ice under all the frost, I'm hoping the unit simply got encased in ice with the storm and wasn't able to defrost itself because of no air flow. We'll see.

Old 11-17-18, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
There is a problem in the defrosting system. It may be a bad coil sensor. These are not particularly DIY friendly for repairing. However..... in the link below is the manual and the defrost system discussion and testing starts on page 30.

Rheem manual (pdf)

Old 11-17-18, 06:38 PM
S
Thanks. I took a quick look and it does look a bit complicated. The unit should still be under warranty, so no sense in me trying to sort it out. I'll call the installer.

Should I leave it in AUX eating until someone can look at it?

Old 11-17-18, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... if that's electric heat without the heat pump running.
It can also be called emergency or E heat.

Old 12-04-18, 05:51 AM
S
Contractor came out just before Thanksgiving and diagnosed it as a bad defrost control board & sensor. Parts were ordered and they came and installed them today. Unit ran on emergency heat (electric heat strips) in the interim, which I'm sure will be a hit to my wallet. All does seem to be back to normal.

Parts were covered under warranty, but labor was not since I could not get in touch with the installing contractor. Cost me about $300.

Old 12-04-18, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Only the first year labor is covered so unless you were good friends with the installer.... he'd charge you labor too.

Yeah.... a small hit to the wallet.
Glad everything's working again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: