Considering replacing gas boiler with heat pump.

Old 11-20-18, 03:46 PM
Considering replacing gas boiler with heat pump.

So I have been looking into replacing my gas boiler with a heat pump. At first I was only considering and air source but I am not considering ground source.

I would like to know what manufacturers are out there for the two different styles. So far Spacepak seems my best bet for the air source and I am looking at Water Furnace for the ground source. Does anyone recommend any other manufacturers for hydronic heat pumps? Also, and words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-18, 04:23 AM
What is your reasoning for removing the gas boiler and replacing it with an air to air heat pump? Have you considered the normally increased costs of running a heat pump in lieu of a gas boiler. I am just trying to understand the thought process and if there are other alternatives to your ideas I know that this does not answer your questions but I am just curious.

Old 11-23-18, 04:47 AM
The irony in my energy efficiency trade is, the last thing you change is the source of heat, supposedly so it will be right sized. But after a home has been thoroughly insulated and air sealed the anticipated savings from a new more efficient heat plant become so minimal there is no longer a justification to replace the old boiler or furnace.

Gas boilers are often noted for longevity so unless it is faced with some major repair issues or other concerns shifting to a heat pump seems like overkill.

Now to confess, my deep energy retrofit has been "overkill" but the early results have been very nice. Plus I get a lot of satisfaction out of my DIY efforts.

Bud

Old 11-23-18, 08:37 AM
I am considering replacement to reduce CO2 output.

Old 11-23-18, 08:40 AM
I have calculated the increased cost of air source and ground source. The increased cost of running air source is higher than running ground source. However, the costs of installation are reversed. I am leaning geothermal and the 30% tax credit may make the cost of installation much more competitive with air source.

Old 11-23-18, 08:43 AM
Bud, my current heatloss is approx. 35,000 btu/hr with 72 degree indoor temp and 10 degree outdoor temp. Since moving in, I have installed cellulose insulation in the first floor walls and spray foam in the 2nd story walls and ceiling. We have also installed replacement windows and a new back door. Any additional efforts will require roof and siding replacement.