Goodman air handler won't shut off

Old 11-26-18, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman air handler won't shut off

Hello everyone. I just joined hoping someone can help me out. I have a goodman ARUF032-00A-1 air handler that won't turn off unless I throw the breaker. I have removed the thermostat just to make sure that wasn't the issue and it still ran once the breaker was turned on. The heat strips are also running. I have a ecobee thermostat and it showed it was supposed to turn off at 3:30 today. I got home from work at 6:15 and it was almost 80 degrees in the house. Which is a good thing if I have to leave the unit off. It's about 25 degrees outside at the moment. I spoke with an hvac guy and he said it was probably the sequencer or the relay. I'm not sure how to trouble shoot it to verify what is actually bad. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 07:14 PM
If I test the sequencer for continuity does all the wires have to be removed first? If I test from one side to the other as it is with it powered off I have continuity. From what I have gathered this should only happen once the low voltage is applied and it has heated up. Unless all the wires being connected is giving me a false reading?

Old 11-26-18, 10:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/t...-shut-off.html

I would unplug the purple wire from the EBTDR control board to see if the motor stops.
If the motor stops it would point to the sequencer.

It is hard to see because of the advertising on the diagram

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...RUFDiagram.jpg

Old 11-27-18, 05:18 AM
Houston thanks for the help. I got up this morning and flipped the breaker to turn on the heat. The fan and heat strips came on immediately like before. I let it run 20 or 30 minutes and turned it off. I turned the breaker back on a few minutes ago and nothing. Once the thermostat booted up it turned on everything like it was supposed to. How do I troubleshoot this if the fan and heat strips are not stuck on now? I'm waiting on the heat to kickoff to see if they stick on.

Old 11-27-18, 05:34 AM
It all kicked off together like it was supposed to. Where do I go from here? I don't want to leave it and the problem present itself at a latter time.

Old 11-27-18, 06:32 PM
Just in case someone else has a similar issue I ended up replacing the sequencer. I was not able to test it as Houston204 had suggested because the unit started functioning correctly again. I did turn off the breaker and test for continuity across the sequencer after it was working correctly and it was open. I purchased the part at a local true value. The local company that sold the exact supco part I had would not sell to anyone without a hvac license. The replacement sequencer did not have the same timing as the old part. I was told this wouldn't matter but I would still like to know for a 100% that it will not affect anything. I'm not sure the old sequencer was the original part because the unit has been worked on a few times over the last 14 years. The new sequencer was goodman part# B1256559.

Old 11-27-18, 06:41 PM
When I swapped the wires from the old sequencer to the new I noticed multiple wires are connected to two of the terminals. On the top you have the black and the purple together on one terminal. On the bottom the white and the brown are on one terminal. Is this typical? Or should it have been wired differently? Just asking cause it looked strange.