Trying to replace Janitrol HPT18-60 with a Honeywell RTH6580WF

Old 11-28-18, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to replace Janitrol HPT18-60 with a Honeywell RTH6580WF

I have had to replace my janitrol thermostat and picked the honeywell rth6580wf. Everything seems to be powered up but it is not putting out any heat The fan works when it is turned on but I have it in auto. This may of been covered a number of times but I need help.

On the janitrol colors are below
Y - yellow
G - green
R - red
O - orange
W2 - white
E - black
C - blue

Honeywell reading what's on top figures pins go in bottom below screw on terminal
Y - yellow
G - green
R - red
W - orange
W2 - white
C - blue
- black tape off

I've tried to get pics uploaded I am not sure where black wire needs to go. Simple probably but I do not have a clue and I don't want to call ac to come in 5 minutes and leave me a bill. So any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by SCSteve; 11-28-18 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Photos adex
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-18, 05:43 AM

Last edited by SCSteve; 11-28-18 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 05:52 AM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
First - the wires still go in top and you use the "heat pump" letters.
Second - You need to go into the setup and configure the system to heat pump. See page 38 https://www.wink.com/downloads/help/...user-guide.pdf

Old 11-28-18, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the response l. I already have thermostat set to heat. It has never turned on

I'm thinking the black wire needs to connected but I'm not sure where. Hopefully all other ones are correct.

I still have the jumper in R and RC. Red wire is in R.

I cannot get the photos to show. Frustrating.

Last edited by SCSteve; 11-28-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 07:42 AM
Sorry - I pointed to the wrong page. Start at page 48 - then option 1 needs to be a 5.

Old 11-28-18, 07:49 AM
Woooooo hooooooooooo. I have heat. Indoor temperature is reading 60,a little chilly.

It says aux heat on. Second time it just says heat on. Then switch to aux heat. Is that because of temperature difference in house indoor temperature and heat setting? I don't want it to use aux heat all the time due to heat strips cost more to run, right? I'm not sure if they are running due to black wire not being connected.

Are their any other settings that need to be made?

Thank you sir for your reply.

Last edited by SCSteve; 11-28-18 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 08:10 AM
Aux heat would cost more (heat strips on). The thermostat does that if more than a few degrees from your desired temperature.

Also for the wiring it states "If old thermostat has separate wires on AUX and E, place both wires into the E/AUX terminal. "

Old 11-28-18, 08:40 AM
Thanks again.

Looking at my original post, would that mean the white and black wire go together? The E and w2 on janitrol go together here on w2?

Old 11-28-18, 09:15 AM
Yes, black and white should go to the W2/AUX/E terminal.

They didn't point out that this is not for dual fuel applications. If you have a gas/oil/propane furnace you need to keep E separate and do more research.

Old 11-28-18, 10:18 AM
No gas, all electric.

I need to or you are going to do more research? I just want to make sure. I have left for work so I will combine the two wires when I get back.

I wish I knew what all the colors mean. I can Google it but you get all kinds of answers then. Electrical work has never been my skill. Mechanical I can tear apart and put together just about anything.

Old 11-28-18, 10:50 AM
No gas then you are fine. Read through the user manual as there are a few options that you might want to play with.

Old 11-28-18, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Astuff took good care of you.

Just some additional info you were asking about.....

Y - yellow - Y --------------> activates outside condenser
G - green - G --------------> turns on blower
R - red - R/Rc --------------> 24vAC to thermostat
O - orange - O/B ----------> controls the reversing valve in the heat pump. Selects cool/heat mode.
W2 - white - AUX/E ------> AUX electric heat. Allows electric strips to run with the heat pump
E - black - AUX/E ---------> E manually selected at the stat and allows just the electric strips to run.
C - blue - C ----------------> common or the other half of the 24v.

For many heat pump systems..... the white and black wires are tied together at the air handler.
You could confirm that if you want to.
For future reference......How-to-insert-pictures

Old 11-28-18, 04:16 PM
So if wires tied together, no need to be concern about connecting the 2. We don't have cold weather all the time living on the east coast. We did have about a month last January and the electric bill was way high. So I'm trying to figure out whether to switch white and black wire and if I need to change thermostat settings or tie together or leave alone. I always thought the strips are the way to a high electric bill.

Thanks again for explaining. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and I am about out of it.

Old 11-28-18, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
You need the white wire on AUX heat.

Whenever the room temperature gets 3 or more degrees below the set point..... the AUX (electric) coils come on automatically. This is one reason why set back is not good for heat pumps. It's more cost effective to let the heat pump run continuously and not need the AUX unless it can't keep up.

If you know that you don't require automatic AUX heat..... then remove the white wire from AUX and tape it. You'll have to manually select E heat which will shut down the heat pump and run just the electric.