Electric heat questions

Old 06-03-19, 04:27 AM
Electric heat questions

Good morning, I'm gonna have some questions about a project that I'm gonna do in about a month . We have a wood boiler for heat. Last year I installed an air handler and ran ductwork to each of the rooms in our small cabin, it worked great throughout the winter but on the days that werent cold enough to build a fire we needed supplemental heat. So, I would like to add a heat strip in the air handler . I'm just trying to figure out how to go about doing this . Right now I have a thermostat connected to the existing air handler with a fan control center. Our cabin is about 1200 ft. . I've been looking at these heat strips.

​https://hvacdirect.com/furnace-accessories/electrical-heat-kits.html​​​​​​

thanks for any help and information!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 07:19 AM
Each air handler has a list of heat strip kits that work with it. There should be info on the air handler or look in the manual - else look up the model number. Heat kits include relays and attach to air handler's current wiring so only need to use W to thermostat. Size of heat kit determines what electrical wiring is needed - usually 240v AC from panel.

Old 06-03-19, 08:30 AM
Well, I don't have a standard air handler. What I have is one of these. https://altheatsupply.com/dragon-breath-air-handler.html. I had a shop fab up a plenum and placed it under the handler, which I brought all my duct work out of.

Old 06-03-19, 11:39 AM
OK. Well, most electric heat kits are meant to mount in an air handler or modular blower. Those provide physical/electrical protection for the line voltage (240vac) heating coils.

Instead of a heat kit try looking for an electric plenum or duct heater. Something like https://www.hvacquick.com/products.p...YaAo1MEALw_wcB

PJmax liked this post.
Old 06-03-19, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
I agree. The kits you buy to install in air handlers come with safeties, matching plugs and sequencers. It would be too hard to match those functions. A basic duct heater will work.

Old 06-03-19, 05:01 PM
Do these duct heaters include an air handler? Or do they just attach to the existing unit? If it doesn't I'm going to have to redesign my current setup.

Old 06-03-19, 07:00 PM
No they don't include an air handler. In general duct heaters have a round in and out collar that you splice in to what you have. Plenum heaters are rectangular and fit between your air handler and existing plenum (some may fit in your existing plenum).

With either you need to set up a thermostat that triggers both your blower and the electric elements. That's the reason that most thermostats have a G (fan) control that can be set to electric heat to mirror the W (heat) wire.

Old 06-05-19, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll probably have more questions in about a month when I go to undertake this project.