Blower motor quit working 1 day after new capacitor

Old 08-12-19, 04:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower motor quit working 1 day after new capacitor

Hi all,

I have a pretty old Carrier furnace (1993) that began failing last week. I opened up the furnace, tested all the leads on the board for proper voltage, removed the blower motor housing, cleaned squirell cage, greased the bearings and cleaned off any dust and debris from the motor itself. I then replace the capacitor with a direct replacement. Worked great for about 12 hours. Now it won't come back on.

I ruled out the thermostat and the exterior AC unit, I am assuming that the motor went bad, guessing it was on its way out which caused the cap to die and it just killed off the new one. I am not an HVAC tech (automotive tech), and have alread ordered the motor and another cap, just wondering if this is the right course of action or if there is something else I am not considering.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-19, 04:40 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, in what way did it begin failing? Did the motor have a connector on the end of the cables, check to be sure they are clean and tight.
Geo

Old 08-13-19, 04:59 AM
J
Thanks for the reply!

I checked all connectors going to the board as well as the pigtail connected to the motor, door switch and capacitor. When I turn the thermostat to on or auto, the outside ac unit kicks on but the motor has no response. Before I replaced the Capacitor I would hear a clicking noise (similar to an igniter on a grill). But now I get nothing when flipping the breaker and/or sending
The on command from the thermostat.

I cleaned all connectors with a soft bristle brush. I did notice some significant gunk buildup was on the board, but since it worked flawlessly after the initial capacitor replacement and the ac unit responds, I’m hoping it’s not the board

Old 08-14-19, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The only way to know for sure what the issue is is to measure for 120vAC to the motor. You need to determine if the motor is getting power and has failed or that the board is not supplying power.

Old 08-16-19, 11:29 AM
J
Which connectors should I test to find that?

Old 08-16-19, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The motor should be 120v. It should have a white wire as neutral and may have several other colors like red, black, blue and orange depending on the amount of speeds.

Typically one or two colors are used. One for cooling and one for heating. The other two are capped off or parked. You'd measure from the used colored wires to the white.

Old 08-16-19, 03:57 PM
J
I tested the black and white which came in at 120~ and the red and blue which cane In around 24, so seems like the leads before and after the transformer are good.

I just replace the the motor itself and still no luck.

Closer inspection I see some water damage on the board. I will attach an image shortly.

Old 08-16-19, 04:10 PM
J
The Hi Lo leads goign to the motor pigtail have no voltage. I tested the hi and C (assuming common, Beige line) and the lo and C, got nothing.

Red LED on board (ces0110057-02) is off

I fear this is telling me its a board.

Old 08-16-19, 04:23 PM
J
ibb .co /MpKNTG3
Image of board (remove the spaces )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: