Need advice on Apartment air unit

Old 10-08-19, 08:03 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Apartment air unit

I live in a 5 year old apartment with a Lennox Heat Pump system. Earlier this year when changing my air filter, I noticed it looked wet and moldy. So I pulled the front panel of the unit and the inside cover had mold on it along with other places in the blower area. Called maintenance, they put a portable dehumidifier in here and sprayed the inside of the air handler with some mold spray. Also, the system had a fresh air intake with an electronic damper that opened with the blower kicked on. The damper motor was bad so he just straight up deleted it and capped both ends of the intake duct.

So fast forward to now, Ran the dehumidifier all spring and summer (got about 3 gal per day) I'm having allergy issues and wheezing. I decide to open the unit again, more mold than before. I'm assuming the ducts are probably filled with with it too. Now I don't look inside of air handlers too often so I'm hoping to get some opinions before I really throw a fit to property management, because that's the only way something will get done unfortunately.

Here are photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHyxAra

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-08-19, 11:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
They need to hire an HVAC cleaning company to clean the unit and duct. Then treat the unit and duct with an EPA approved disinfectant like BBJ. after that the door should be coated with a product epa approved like Fosters 40-20.

Dead mold is an allergen. It has to be removed. Spraying it will not get the job done.

dsomerv voted this post useful.
Old 10-09-19, 10:42 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
just curious:

- where do you live ?
- why not get the fresh air inlet operating properly ? some outside air can be nice
- are others in the apartment building similarly afflicted ?
- is it easy for you to relocate ? - the allergy issues are not nothing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: