Goodman Heat Pump Inop with Code 8

Old 10-13-19, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman Heat Pump Inop with Code 8

Hello, and HELP !

I have a Goodman DSZC16 Heat Pump. It had been running and cooling fine all summer, and for the 3-4 years since it was installed.

I switched it the other day to heat mode, and the compressor no longer kicks in and the fan does not run on the condensor. On the condensor control board, it gives a flash code 8 on the YELLOW LED, and no flash on the RED or GREEN LED. This apparently is a 240V lower than normal voltage code according to the chart.

This has one of the integrated control, defrost, and contactor boards. In other words, it is an all-in-one smart board with no separate contactor or defrost board.

• It will run for a few moments to maybe a minute if I press the "TEST" button, but after a couple tries it locks out "TEST" mode. While in test mode, there is a relay clicking in and out fairly regularly on the control board like it is trying to engage various stages.

• I have 24VAC at Y and Y1 to C, and on R to C at the condensor. It is wired conventionally, NOT with a communicating stat. The furnace blower engages and my Prestige IAQ lights up like it should for the various stages.

• I have approximately 240VAC across L1 and L2 at the circuit board. It maintains 240V if I use "TEST" button to engage compressor, so I don't think it is lack of voltage.

• I also have 240VAC across R and L2 at compressor terminal when compressor is running so I think the "contactor" is OK. It does not have a conventional contactor, just the relays on the integrated board.

• If I initiate a defrost while in test mode (by pressing "test" and "recall" buttons, the reversing valve switches but the compressor and fan turn off.

• I have fairly normal but not perfect refrigerant pressures in both heat and cool modes when in test mode, but I don't think the compressor is really running right by the sound of it. I am not sure what test mode does as far as compressor speeds and heat/cool modes though.

• I don't have a capacitance tester, but when I ohm from C to Herm and C to Run, the ohms change over a few seconds. It also has voltage stored in it after the ohms test, and the can is not bulged or obviously damaged. At the very least it isn't open...
  • I have not tested compressor run amps, I should probably do so, but with pressures being OK, and the code for voltage issues, I don't think the compressor is at fault?

I suspect the control board has taken a dump because I cannot get rid of that code 8. I cannot see any damage to anything on the board. Is there anything else I have forgotten to test?

Any other ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by neonturbo; 10-13-19 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Trying to fix formatting
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-19, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Does it still run normally in A/C mode ? That will eliminate a lot of messing around.

Old 10-13-19, 02:35 PM
No, it doesn't run at all unless I use the test button on the condensor board.

I put the IAQ into installer mode, and tried all the various modes. The only thing that works is the furnace blower motor, and the gas furnace (EM Heat mode).

Old 10-13-19, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
I'm looking into the service info. Not sure what the problem is yet.

Service manual (pdf)

Old 10-13-19, 03:36 PM
I tried looking at that manual, and I could not come up with anything conclusive.

If I have 240V at both L1 and L2, and at Motor R and C, shouldn't the board not set the code 8?

Old 10-13-19, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... it should not set an 8 code. I'm trying to see what exactly it monitors to come up with that code.

Old 10-13-19, 05:17 PM
This board, a PCBHR103 apparently has many revisions. Mine is actually Revision C.

• There is a PCBHR103S, which doesn't state what the difference is. I assume the S is for service part?
  • There is a PCBHR104, where it got a 3 segment display and it apparently fixed a timing issue between the blower motor and reversing valve that was setting some code (apparently a code on the communicating stats?).
  • The PCBHR104S is also presumably a service part rather than OEM?

All these seem to be discontinued, and there is a couple White-Rodgers replacements.

• There is a universal 49S25-707 which replaces all the above.
  • There is a OEM replacement of 49J22-289-02.

Not sure if that worries me or not! That is a lot of changes but it is concerning that an approximately 4 year old heat pump has so many revisions and discontinued parts already.

Old 10-15-19, 10:54 AM
I could not find anything, anywhere, describing where the board detects the 240V power. I assume there is a circuit with microprocessor somewhere on the compressor line voltage side of the relay that does this. In that case, if I have verified the line voltage, that doesn't leave many options except the control board.

I found a new damaged warehouse takeout board on Ebay for $50, so I am going to take a gamble and try it. The board is one of the updated part numbers with the numeric LED display rather than the blinky LED.

The only way I can see my assumption being wrong about the board is if they use the current transformer (inductive coil) built onto this board to detect start/run amperage and there is something wrong with the compressor. None of the literature I could find describes the purpose of the CT on this board.

Old 10-17-19, 11:26 AM
So as I mentioned above, I ordered the ebay board with the updated part number PCBHR105. This board is actually for the newer ASZC series of heat pump.

It has a couple very minor differences in where the terminals plug in, but other than that it installed perfectly. Take pictures of the old wiring and new to be sure you get things back on the correct terminal, which is not necessarily the same physical location.

The heat pump is working fine after the board swap. I don't know how or why the old board died, but it was somehow damaged on the line voltage sensing circuit. It was worth the $50 gamble to try the updated board.

The upside of the new board is when I upgrade the furnace, I can use the Goodman CoolCloud app to set and test things, and I think I can then switch the condenser to be "smart" and use the communicating function (ComfortBridge) on the furnace and heat pump to gain some additional features and diagnostics.

Thanks for the help, and I hope this helps someone in the future.