Wiring furnace condensate pump that contains a safety switch?

Old 10-22-19, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Post Wiring furnace condensate pump that contains a safety switch?

I would like to replace my current Little Giant furnace condensate pump that has no safety switch with the Little Giant VCMA-15ULS, 65 GPH Automatic Condensate Removal Pump w/ Safety Switch - SKU 554405. The pump drains Carrier central A/C and Carrier furnace humidifier. Can someone please provide and/or refer me to explicit wiring instructions for installing this pump and enabling it to shut down the Central A/C and only the humidifier, not the furnace, in case of pump failure?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-19, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
There is only a single switch in that pump. It would be an easy job to kill everything at once.

Depending on how your humidifier is wired there may be a way of disabling the humidifier and A/C condenser. I'd need a picture or two of the wiring at the furnace board.

How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-22-19, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There is only a single switch in that pump. It would be an easy job to kill everything at once.

Depending on how your humidifier is wired there may be a way of disabling the humidifier and A/C condenser. I'd need a picture or two of the wiring at the furnace board.
Thanks for your fast reply, Pete. I was spooked by a neighbor who stated the safety switch should shut down only the humidifier instead of the furnace in case the house was unoccupied at the time of pump failure, thereby risking frozen and bursting pipes. When I think about it, the odds of this occurring are quite small, and I would appreciate simplified instructions that achieve furnace/condenser shutdown.

Thanks again.

Old 10-22-19, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
The outside condenser is connected to the furnace board with two wires if it's a straight split air system.... not a heat pump. One of those wires goes to the C terminal on the control board and the other wire goes to the Y terminal along with a second yellow wire.

You can open the C wire to the condenser. Some humidifiers also require a C connection.