Still no emer heat

Old 10-26-19, 10:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Still no emer heat

Nordyne E2EB-015HB, new Honeywell RTH6580WF 1001. Installed stat and all working as per normal - heats and cools. But temps in the 30's last night and when heat pump comes on it runs for a very long time before cutting off indicating that the ele heat is not coming on. Honeywell tells me there is no way to test the ele heat.

In troubleshooting there are 2 relays - when I push on one the fan comes on, when I push on the other the coils come on bright red/orange.

There is a yellow wire that comes out of a small, black rectangle located on the upper left of the unit which has all the wires, parts, etc of the unit - under the fan unit. This wire is not connected to anything and the only place I can see to connect it is back on one lug of the black rectangle. I can't find a wiring diagram that list the name of the different parts.

The Honeywell stat is wired as follows as per Honeywell -

R- red
Y-yellow
C- blue
O-B- orange
G- green
Aux-E- brown and white
RC - jumped to R
L- nothing
K- not used - future use as per Honeywell

Old 10-26-19, 12:07 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
when you raise the temperature well above the setting, you should hear a click and aux heat indicator (if it has one) should come on.

heatpump should remain on.

It is normal for the heatpump to run a long time in cold weather, below 40f in most cases. Long cycles do not indicate the aux heat isn't working, having the system not keep up in cold weather does. The aux heat is only there to bridge the gap between heat output and heat loss and should only come on when the temperature inside starts to slide.

Depending on how the unit and how it was sized relative to heat loss, it could start needing aux heat anywhere from 15 to 40F outside.

in emergency heat mode, heatpump should be off, electric strip heat on.

Make sure you actually set it up for heatpump with aux heat. The stats come from the factory set up for furnace with straight a/c.

Old 10-26-19, 12:11 PM
J
Tks for the reply - Followed Honeywell instructions on stat with heat pump and called them twice - they said it was wired properly. This has two heat coils and when they are on they put out a lot of heat and the vents are very warm. This is not happening now.

Old 10-26-19, 12:12 PM
what about the settings menu?

Old 10-26-19, 12:31 PM
J
Have set it up and everything works. Have gone to temp and ran it up and put on hold which should bring the coils on but does not. If I understand it, last night when the heat pump cycles on and runs for a long time and the temp in the house takes a long time to come on the heat coils should come on to bring the temp up, right? If not, why have them there?

With the old Goodman stat, it had a switch for emer heat which used to bring the coils on. What started all this was that the red light on the Goodman stat quit coming on and the coils did not come on when the emer heat was turned on.

Is the yellow wire as described below a problem?

Old 10-26-19, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,477 Votes on 1,365 Posts
Aux-E- brown and white
That means that a call for AUX heat or E heat will bring on both heating coils.

If that is not happening...... you need to determine IF both relays are closing.
If they are not both closing you will need to measure for 24vAC on the relay coils.

I believe we covered this in the other thread you started on this topic.
The yellow wire is strictly for the compressor.

Old 10-26-19, 01:57 PM
J
OK - will do - have to leave but get back to it later. Tks.

Old 10-26-19, 02:29 PM
takes a long time to come on the heat coils should come on to bring the temp up, right? If not, why have them there?
If the heatpump can maintain the setting running continuously, the aux heat is kept off.

The idea is not to bring the temp up above the setpoint and shut down. Heatpumps are maintainers, they only have short cycles in very mild weather.

The stat will just keep calling for heatpump alone to maintain the setting. Only if it detects the temperature dropping or it's well below the setting will the aux heat come on, and will try to minimize use.

Straight electric heat burns up so much electricity, the idea is to use it as little as possible.

Emergency heat is a different matter.

If you switch the stat to emergency heat, does it start heating without the heatpump?

Old 10-29-19, 10:58 AM
J
Sorry - I just got back to this problem. The original problem I had was with the old Goodman stat - when I switched to emer heat neither the coils nor the red light on stat come on. Changed out that stat for the Honeywell and did not have power to it - that problem is solved, heat and cool working as advertized, so I am now back to the original problem of no coils coming on. With the outside temp in the 30's and the inside temp at 70 it ran the stat to 90 and no coils - I assume they should have come on.

If I close one of the relays the fan comes on - if I close the other the coils come on so I assume there is something from the stat to the relays that is not working.

PJ, you mentioned the yellow wire is just for the compressor - as I described below, should that yellow wire connect to something?

Old 10-31-19, 12:01 PM
J
No one going to help? This has been up for days now and no replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: