heat strip woes

Old 02-27-20, 08:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heat strip woes

I recently moved into an apartment and the landlord live out of state the heat has broken that near the heatstrip to be replaced. I purchased a replacement heatstrip for this and it came with a kit Breakers and a lot more than the other had with it like I'm a double wire two prong power plugs that don't hook to the board to the board is way older than the replacement part but they came with two wires that I'm almost positive it's probably the only two wires I need but you know I don't want to feel real stupid I'm going to ask anyway to the camera to wire nuts and two wires that are bare and I would be the one for the common and one for the damn thermostat pardon my ignorance somebody would just look at these pictures and tell me if I'm correct in my assumption. the original heat strips klaxon burned the woke top off . we account gonna freeze but, landlord basically leaving me to repair it the cost of a technician is over 150 hr here please help

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-20, 08:16 PM
A
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
It sounds like you are in over your head. You need to call in a pro.

Old 02-27-20, 08:29 PM
P
yea

i
I know this much I got to be on the low side of the Transformers which is the blank spot on it on the on the air handler blower motor out there and I know I got to be on the thermostat which is the gray wire a white wire go to low side ofTransformers understand that extra stuff I don't know what I'm supposed to do that's the only problem im only trying to out this in the existing cuircut

Old 02-27-20, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'd be surprised at how helpful punctuation is to understanding text.

That is a heatstrip kit but it doesn't look like it's a replacement for what you have.
That will not be easy to wire even for a pro.

Also..... keep in mind that a renter should not be doing repairs as that puts the landlords insurance at risk. You're a renter..... you're entitled to working heat regardless of where the landlord is.

Old 02-27-20, 11:01 PM
P
Not that I don't agree with you about the punctuation. I called Nordyne and this is the exact placement because the part so old they don't have the exact same anymore. This is just the whole kit if it were to go on a heat pump system. i appreciate the push to pay a guy but, moneys been tight enough to stop the expe dture. not to mention space heaters draw the same if not less billwise. Thanks for yje vote.of confidence.

Old 02-28-20, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 323 Posts
That's the thing. It's not your expense to pay. It's the landlord's responsibility for the repair and it's cost. That's one benefit of renting.

Old 02-28-20, 05:49 AM
J
Pretty much every state requires a landlord to provide adequate heat by law. "Adequate" depends on the outside temperature, time of day, etc. What state are you in?

If for some reason this wouldn't apply, I would think you'd be a lot better off with a space heater than trying to wire in heating coils without knowing what you are doing.

Old 02-28-20, 06:23 AM
T
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Call the pro, pay him, submit the receipt to the landlord with the rent payment, minus the cost of the repair. Your out of pocket is $0.00 That is unless you have a net/net lease which I doubt, but you should read it carefully then proceed with the repair.

Old 02-28-20, 02:33 PM
P
alright obviously this is not FOR diy i want to thank yall if given the proper info i couyld do this have done many things i didnt know how to do this last 12 months yall be easy do help no one ya hear id hate fort some hvac dude not to get fed i ran duct the whole last year and wired countless systems with my trained boss. but, i moved outa state and had to ask for help and nobody has attempted to put me in the right direction thanks

Old 02-28-20, 07:37 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
My opinion as to what the right direction is:

1. Contact your landlord telling him that the heat does not work.
2. Get one or more portable electric heaters (space heaters).
3. Research (at City Hall) the proper procedure on deducting rent to make repairs with.
4. Intersperse:
4a. Wait for and read replies to your question in this thread and answer any replies that are questions and pose additional questions except stop before making changes to equipment yourself except for things that concur with #4b below..
4b. Do, in order, the things (steps) your landlord tells you to do but delaying any step that needs money until he agrees in writing to take it out of the rent or he sends money.
4c, Do, in order, the various steps you got in #3 above.
4d. Your daytime job,

Mitigating costs or damages does not mean doing the labor yourself for free. That is, you are not expected to share in the costs that the landlord is normally responsbile for because you chose (elected) to hire it out instead of DIY.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-28-20 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
It's not that we don't want to help. That is a pretty involved installation there. It could take days or weeks doing it online like this. It is very easy for me to service and install them when I'm on site.

If you want to continue...,.. post the model number of that kit.