Building a furnace.

Old 06-05-20, 05:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Building a furnace.

i have a 2000 square foot mobile home. it had a furnace? heat only never had ac. very basic. a few months after moving in a power surge ruined something. i gutted everything out of the furnace. it was an old intertherm.
im trying to update everything. i put on a dew digital thermostat before it died. i kept the old fan. i got a goodman/ amana hkr20c heat kit with breakers-with the closest btu rating as the old one had. i have retrofit the new heat kit but im lost. i have the heat kit fit, i have my old fan, i have a brand new transformer, i have the on/auto switch and two wire for the thermostat. i also got a wire harness to plug into the 9pin plug that comes on the heat kit so i wouldnt have to cut the plug off. i need to figure out what the six wires in the nine pin plug do or need. i just want the heat and fan to work with the thermostat. the heat kit doesnt come with any diagram past the plug. (yes i understand the heat kit is supposed to be an option for an a/c system.)
i dont think i need a circuit board or controller anything else since theres no a/c. just looking for the basics.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-20, 06:42 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
You still need a relay to control the blower rather than tapping one of the coils. Use this as "standard" Goodman control - https://www.amazon.com/Goodman-PCBFM.../dp/B00PCHFMHW then follow diagram on page 9 - https://www.jmrmax.com/aruf-sf.pdf

Old 06-05-20, 06:48 PM
A
Also - I think your breakers are upside-down.

Old 06-05-20, 08:49 PM
all of the wiring on the heat kit was pre wired. even from the breakers to all the components. all i did was connect the power from the homes breaker panel that was already ran to the old furnace. also replaced the breakers there with 2 brand new 60 amp breakers. (witch is what they were).

Old 06-05-20, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some good info from Astuff.

To answer your question directly about the six wires on the plug.
Red & Black are 240v.
Purple is blower
Blue is Common
White is heat
Brown may be set up for stage 2 heat.

Old 06-05-20, 10:31 PM
Great thanks. can i put the breakers on their side? im going to be putting a fan control on it as recommended.

Old 06-06-20, 09:19 AM
A
Breakers on their side is fine. Upside-down is a safety issue as down is supposed to be off - at least in North America.

Old 06-06-20, 01:13 PM
Thanks, i will change it while im waiting for the fan control to get here.

Old 06-06-20, 02:16 PM
A
Also would be good to run a new thermostat cable to support blower only or low heat (as mentioned above).

Old 06-07-20, 12:21 AM
i was thinking about that already. 18 gauge 5 conductor? will the new heat kit and fan control board eliminate the need for the manual rocker switch for on/auto. its on the thermostat as well.

Old 06-07-20, 12:57 AM
A
You should not need that old switch. Normally the panel has a cutout so that the breakers are accessible. That way they are the disconnects (master on/off switch) but can be left on all year round. The thermostat then activates the heating and/or blower as needed.

Old 06-13-20, 04:04 PM
can i do this without the fan control board? i have 2 that only click when the breaker goes on. nothing works. also my old fan only has 2 leads.

Old 06-13-20, 11:48 PM
A
Question that wasn't asked earlier: Does the blower fan work and is it 240v? Odd that it only has 2 leads as normally there are a few more to select speed as well as two going to a capacitor.

No, you don't have to have a fan control board, it just gives more flexibility. Black and purple wires from the connector will provide switched 240vac for the blower motor.

Old 06-14-20, 10:52 AM
blower

the fan worked when i took everything else out. it is 240V. definitely two leads. no capacitor that i can see. it was only one speed before. i dont care about flexibility or options really.
finally got at least the heating elements to come on with the thermostat but no fan yet.
this is what i have wired from the connector:
Brown- not used
Black- 240V side of transformer then to blower
purple- direct to blower
white- to thermostat white
red- to transformer 240V
blue- transformer 24V

my red thermostat wire goes to a 24Vside of transformer.
the green from the thermostat is not used.

Old 06-14-20, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
You need to energize the sequencer where the purple wire connects. That sequencer is probably set up to turn on the heating element and then the blower on in xx seconds. On shutoff.... it turns the element off first and then delays the blower shutoff by xx seconds.

I don't know if I'm a fan of not using the fan relay.

Old 06-18-20, 10:00 AM
Thank you!

Thanks for all the help, i have heat again. the furnace is doing everything it needs to. this is my first year living on ocean front property and am learning how cold the ocean breeze can be. all i have left is to figure out where my green wire from thermostat for the fan only. jump to the purple? if i need the fan control board for this feature i will skip it. again i want to say thank you for all the advice .

Old 06-18-20, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
The purple is a 240v switched line. Connecting that to the thermostat will cause some major fireworks. The G/green wire connection is what triggers the fan relay board. Without the relay board... no "fan only" operation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: