Trane heat pump with aftermarket parts?

Old 06-29-20, 06:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane heat pump with aftermarket parts?

Hi guys, I have two Trane heat pumps here in sunny and hot AZ. I was attempting to buy a few spare parts in case the AC goes out during the hot summer, since the units are 8 years old.

I got the part numbers needed for the capacitors and the contactor, then removed the electrical cover from one of the pumps. To me it looks like someone wired in an aftermarket capacitor and contactor? The two items with red warning stickers. Anyone know?

Also, should I just proactively replace the capacitors and contactor in both heat pumps or wait until there is an issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-20, 06:39 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Looks like a field installed hard start kit. As far as proactively replacing parts, I would look at the contacts on the contactor to see how burnt/pitted they are. Capacitors, I would check with a tester to verify that they are in range. No real need to replace them if not needed. Having a spare contactor and capacitor is about all that would be worthwhile to keep on hand, anything else is overkill.

Old 06-29-20, 06:51 PM
A
Thanks for the info. The contactor connections look pretty clean, no pitting or burn marks that I can see.

What are the specs for testing a capacitor?

As far as having spare parts on hand, I have two pumps. One is a 4TWB3060B1000BA and the other is a 4TWB3048B1000BA. Same exact type of pump except one is slightly smaller. The bigger unit calls for capacitor CPT01847 and the smaller unit CPT01846. Can I use the CPT01847capacitor on the smaller pump, so I don't have to have both on hand?

Same with the contactor, the bigger pump calls for CTR2576and the smaller calls for CTR2573. Can I just use CTR2576for both?

Old 06-29-20, 07:51 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Lots of inexpensive test meters on amazon. Choose one like the one below that has a very large capacitance range or one with less range. Your run capacitor will be greater than 20 mfd so you will want one with the larger range.
The Trane part numbers don't tell me much, if you look at the capacitors the rating in microfarads will be listed. If the capacitors for the 2 units are different, stock the sizes needed for each unit. You can just use the larger units contactor size for both units.

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Ca...tag=mozilla-20

These items are not Trane specific, you might save a few bucks by purchasing them at:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...=run+capacitor

Last edited by 57TinkerMan; 06-29-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
I agree..... you need to use the proper sized caps.
The cap and hard start kit look pretty new in that picture.

Old 06-29-20, 08:19 PM
A
Thanks for the info, guys.

Old 06-30-20, 04:15 AM
B
Received 65 Votes on 58 Posts
The motor manufacturer selects the capacitance (farads) of the capacitor that provides the largest starting torque. More or less capacitance will result in less efficient operation of the motor.