Advice on placement of heat pump indoor unit?

Old 09-15-20, 08:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on placement of heat pump indoor unit?

The room is 13.5 x 13.5. The heat pump is 9000 btu. Where should I place the heating/cooling unit in relation to where I usually sit? Without the heat pump, I have used an oil filled electric heater which I found needed to be pretty close to me to keep me warm. But I am assuming the 9000 btus will be sufficient to fill the entire room, which is well insulated. So from that I am thinking of placing the unit in the wall farthest from where I sit, so that I do not have hot or cold hitting me directly.
But I would hate to end up needing the electric radiator in addition to the heat pump.
In general, what are the rules for placing the indoor unit of a mini-split 9000 btu in a room for maximum comfort?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-20, 01:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
It should go on an outside wall, above a window if possible. The mini-split will have some adjustment to direction(s) of discharge, if there are draft issues.

Will 9,000 BTUH be enough? New 2,500 SF homes in an 18F climate (ASHRAE 99% value for Dover, Delaware) have a heat loss around 20,000 BTUH. On that basis, 9,000 is enough to heat around 1,125 SF (six times your 182 SF), so you should be OK in an older home in a colder climate.

Oil-filled heaters are often 1,500 watts, 5,120 BTUH. You're increasing that by 75% AND adding the ability to blend the air in the room to establish a more uniform temperature distribution. Enjoy!