Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

Looking for help installing a Honeywell RTH9580 to a Trane system (twe024c140b0)

Looking for help installing a Honeywell RTH9580 to a Trane system (twe024c140b0)

Old 09-23-20, 10:32 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I am looking for some assistance on the wiring of the new thermostat to a Trane twe024c140b0.

I followed the directions in the manual, but it doesn't seem to work in the heating mode.

The cooling seems to work fine, but when you switch to heating it causes the thermostat to go a loop of restarting.

I have some pictures of the old Tstat and the new one. Any help is appreciated!

The wires are still too long and I plan on trimming them after I know that I don't have to go back to the old thermostat.

The old Tstat had wires going to : O, G, Y, X2, B, Jumper between W&U, R and T.

The new thermostat is a Honeywell RTH9580.

The old one is a Baystat240A(3AAT82B1B1).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-20, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Typically white and black are connected at the air handler so that X2
which is the emergency terminal is not used on the new stat.

R --------> red ------------> R
T --------> brown ---------> cap off - not used
O --------> orange -------> W - O/B
G --------> green ---------> G
Y ---------> yellow --------> Y
X2 -------> black ---------> cap off - not used
B ---------> blue ----------> C
W --------> white ---------> W2 - AUX/E

Last edited by PJmax; 09-24-20 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added T terminal
Old 09-24-20, 12:15 PM
L
Thank you for the reply!

I have been messing around with it a little bit today. The Tstat powers on, as it should, and has a "waiting for system" message on the screen.

When the system tries to energize, the Tstat clicks, shuts completely down and restarts. I'm going to include some pictures just to make sure I have the settings correct in the menu.

Also, is the T wire from the old Tstat no longer in use as well as the black wire?

Old 09-24-20, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Your settings look correct.
The T wire is not used either. (corrected my list)
Did you remove the black wire and the stat still shuts down ?
Does it do that in both heat and A/C modes ?

Old 09-24-20, 07:52 PM
L
I removed the black wire and have to put back together. It's still shutting down as soon as it tries to turn the unit on. It does that in heat mode and A/C.

The Tstat makes an audible click like it's sending the signal and I can hear the unit try to start for a second, then the Tstat shuts off and boots again. It has a 5 minute delay for safety before it tries to start things up again, but as soon as it does it restarts.

Old 09-24-20, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
I'm concerned. That is not something that should be happening.
That sounds like the thermostat is switching into a short.

Have you cleaned up the wiring so there are no shorts ?
If yes..... I'd try removing the yellow wire from the stat and try the system again.
If ok now..... there's a problem with the Y/compressor line.
If that has no effect on the problem.... try the G wire instead.

It's only those two wires that get turned on in both modes.

Old 09-24-20, 08:54 PM
L
I did clean up those wires. I just disconnected the Y wire and tried the system. It turns on and stays on,no restating.
I have let it run for a bit now and it's staying on.

Thanks for all of your help with this, I really appreciate it!

Old 09-24-20, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Y is the 24v line that runs the condenser outside. It sounds like it has short to ground on it. That's why every time the condenser starts the stat resets. Typical place for problems is in between the house and the outside unit.

Old 09-25-20, 09:08 AM
L
I'm going to try tracking down the cause of the issue today. I know there is a fuse at the A/C unit that protects it from a short in the C/B wire, so maybe there is something like that for the Y wire.

I have also replaced the capacitor. It was a few years ago. I'm wondering if that could have gone out again.

If you have any ideas on common places to start, please let me know!

Old 09-25-20, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
The short is only in the 24v control line. That wire goes from the thermostat to the air handler to the condenser. The only part that could be causing a short in the condenser is a defective coil in the contactor.

I use a meter to check the resistance from ground to the shorted wire. I'll check it at the air handler and the condenser. This tells me where the short is located.

In your case.... if you don't have a meter..... go out to the condenser. Disconnect power/pullout. You don't need power on out there for testing. Remove the wiring access cover. It's where the high voltage and low voltage connects. Find the low voltage splices. Open/disconnect the yellow wire and see if the problem remains. If it's still shorted.... you need to follow the wiring.... especially outside to find a damaged location.

Old 09-25-20, 11:42 AM
L
I have been messing around with this a bit today and this is what I have done.

I removed the Tstat and hooked the R/G/Y wires together and the heat comes on as well as the condenser.

From there I moved on to R/G/Y/O and the and once again everything came on and the air is cool and everything seems to be working.

I tied together the R/G/W wires and nothing happens at all. The blower won't come on and the entire system remains shut off.

Do you think it's possible to just not connect the W wire to the Tstat and see if that fixes the issue? To be honest, I am not sure the system actually has the coils for the emergency heat.

Old 09-25-20, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
Your old stat had white = aux heat and black = emergency heat connections.
Sure looks like you have electric reheats.

I'm not following you. You said when going to heat or cool the stat blinks off and back on. The W line is not energized immediately. It should not be causing any problems. You may be able to run without electric backup but it depends on your location. Also.... when a heat pump defrosts..... it's the same as running in A/C mode and cold air flows in the house.

Old 09-25-20, 12:54 PM
L
Sorry about not being clear on the last response.

I meant to state that I tied these wires together right at the wall with the Tstat removed completely just to see which components would run. I put them together with a wire nut and turned the breaker back on for the two units (I have a separate breaker for each).

Each of the combinations I tied together worked, except the R/G/W. When I tied those three together, at the wall, nothing happened.

If I put R/G together, the blower runs and everything is fine. If I try adding the W wire into this, it trips the fuse that I have before the transformer.

I tried hooking the wires up like in the picture and tried the Tstat again. It comes on without restating and stays on. The air seems to work fine, but I don't think the heat is getting very warm. I live in the Northeast, so I'm sure I'll need the backup heat.

I hope I'm explaining everything correctly.

I should probably also mention that it doesn't matter if it's in heating mode or cool mode, if that white wire is connected, it will cause the Tstat to reset.

If those electric heat strips are bad, do you think it would cause this issue?

Update: I was actually able to clean up the W wire a little more and connected it back to the Tstat.

I am able to get the A/C to run with it connected.

When I switched to heat the Tstat stayed on this time for a bit. The system turned on and stayed running for a while without the Tstat restarting.

After about 5-10 minutes, the Tstat went back to showing the "Waiting for equipment" message.

I let it go and the heat came on again after about 5 minutes.

It was ruining fine for a bit and then the Tstat restarted again like it was doing before.

It doesn't seem to be in a constant restart now. It almost seems like when it tries to, possibly, use the aux heat, it restarts the Tstat.

​​​​​

Last edited by Lmlyp24; 09-25-20 at 02:13 PM.