Turn off elec aux backup?

Old 11-08-20, 02:12 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turn off elec aux backup?

What are the downsides of turning off my electric aux backup other then maybe not heating the house enough? Are there other risks or downsides to consider?

could the pump running much longer become more expensive than allowing the electric aux to kick in?

Old 11-08-20, 03:09 PM
B
Received 109 Votes on 95 Posts
Would be helpful to know what your heating system is besides the aux. electric heaters. Also, where are you located?

Old 11-08-20, 03:15 PM
Z
Heat pump primary. Carrier infinity unit.

Live in Canada. I know it won’t be possible in the depths of winter. Jan, Feb.

we’re also on tou of electricity pricing. I’ve read that you shouldn’t set back heat pumps at night. But should I set back during 5-7pm which is peak pricing.

I find even if the temp goes below the set point by one degree, then the elec aux comes on.

Old 11-08-20, 03:17 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What make and model heat pump do you have? Some will allow you to set the temperature at which the backup heatstrips kick in. I doesn't really matter if your heat pump runs almost continuously as long as it can maintain the setpoint temperature. If it can't then you want the backup strips to kick in (or freeze)!

Old 11-08-20, 03:29 PM
Z
carrier equipment. Models # for the pump and air handler below.

Old 11-09-20, 07:27 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
the most efficient mode is when the heat pump runs continuously - with heat in just balancing heat loss ; Unless you have a variable output compressor unit and a clever control system, that won't happen much.

whether to disable auxiliary heat depends on your tolerance for discomfort - would you rather spend a few extra dollars to be comfy or shiver a little ...

as for the 1 degree delta of ambient below setpoint where auxiliary kicks in - usually that's adjustable - preferably as a thermostat setting ... I picked my current thermostat because it offered both time and temperature difference control for two stages of auxiliary heat for example

Canada is fairly big - the climate in Victoria (heat pump has it easy), say is a lot different to Churchill ( not so temperate - AUX needed a lot) - and although electric prices are usually pretty - not everywhere

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: