Odd geothermal behavior. A/C works, heat shuts off

Old 12-18-20, 09:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odd geothermal behavior. A/C works, heat shuts off

I have a 5 ton geothermal comfort air "HRV060A1C00ART" system. I have recently installed a hard start kit on it. (just wanted to see if I could stop light dimming). The system runs in heat mode until 72-73 degrees and the compressor shuts off. I ran it in cooling mode and it ran completely fine and blew 42 degree air. The compressor did not shut off or anything.

When the system does start, i do notice a surge of air seeming to come through the flow valve. I have never noticed this before. I opened the system and see no leaks or anything.

Could this hard something to do with the hard start kit? I am just curious why the A/C would work and the compressor shuts down for heat. Could the relay on the hard start kit be triggering the heat to turn off, but not the A/C?

Thank you

Old 12-18-20, 10:40 AM
D
Compressor lock out FP1 during heat only. It works fine when it's on A/C mode.

Last edited by DIYsaveme; 12-18-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-18-20, 02:25 PM
D
Sorry for the million posts. I can't seem to edit my second reply. Tested where FP1 thermistor goes with a thermometer. A few seconds after running, it gets down to 18 degrees really fast. It does appear the thermistor is reading correctly. I can just assume at this point. I have a low freon. Unless that line is suppose to get extremely cold. I turned it off when it reached 18 degrees quickly.

Old 12-18-20, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
I remembered your system and added a link to the original thread below.

FP1 is a freeze protection sensor.
I'd say it's working if where it's connected gets to 18 and it trips.

Where is FP1 connected ?
I'm not sure I'd agree you are low on freon. The water flowing thru that pipe should keep that temperature higher unless there isn't any or enough flow.

Geothermal-heat-pump-massive-energy-usage.

Old 12-18-20, 10:26 PM
D
Hey Pj, thanks for always helping. I have the FP2 sensor and the FP1 sensor on opposite sides of the reversing valve. I've had it installed like this for a few years and never had issues. (could be wrong)

Where you can see the thermometer (is where I have FP1 at). that pipe is getting 18 degree's super fast. I'm definitely not a pro, but isn't that horrible "superheat" stats?

The weird thing is, if i turn the sprinkler valve on manually, there's a huge rush and surge of water in it. Almost like its frozen or something? However, it hasn't been ran in forever, and i ran just the fan and its in a heated garage

Hopefully it's something of an error I did and it just now became a problem. I would love heat again in my house. LOL

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/6...g.html?page=23 Here is an image of how FP1/FP2 are going. I have also attached a video of how odd the water is flowing. The intial surge is fine, as i'm opening up the valve and letting in a tiny bit of air. The second weird surge i've never seen before. It's almost like the water isn't flowing or something? I have no idea how that could even happen. I have attached a 15 second video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iz2kjjp61...ermal.mp4?dl=0

I still assume low R22 charge. I hope I check this tomorrow and you prove me wrong. That would be the best Christmas gift ever.

Last edited by DIYsaveme; 12-19-20 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 10:46 AM
D
Things i've done so far.

Back flushed heat pump with hot water from water heater. Reversed flow in both directions. Nothing nasty came out. (maybe it needs an acid flush?)

PF1 sensor is correctly reading, thermometer confirms pipe is getting extremely cold fast.

Increased water flow, even if I pump it to 15GPM, the pipe is still getting cold, making no difference in temperature.

PF1/PF2 sensors seem to be in correct location

Pulled insulation on FP1 line going to water in. Peeled it back and put thermometer on line. I watched the line where it enters going into water in line start to freeze from where it flows heading towards the TRX valve.

Coils cleaned, brand new air filter. Ran with and without a filter.

I don't have a set of gauges to check Freon levels.

Old 12-19-20, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
I wish I could be of more help. This isn't one of my specialty areas.
I sent a PM to Houston to have him check in. He's the geothermal expert.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: