Yes another AC/Heat Pump Issue (Yes I hate it!)

Old 12-24-20, 07:33 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Yes another AC/Heat Pump Issue (Yes I hate it!)

As posted by me many of times
So I guess the consensus is the unit is low on refrigerant as posted many times

I always mention that POS Mitsubishi Mini-split they had installed
I asked earlier (as in post #1)on this forum why it works fine on 75°+ degree weather they said it was low on refrigerant so my idea to get them to fix it is make the level lower so it will not work at all (yes I do know this is bad to do) so my question is which side is more likely to leak to make it look like I had nothing to do with this?

Is this the High (Red) or the low (Blue) side?
It has an access panel under that are the service ports which work like a car tire (Schrader Valve?) press the center and out comes air or in this case the refrigerant gas.

Feel free to ignore this as I know this is not good to do but I need a working AC and I ended up in the ER last summer (Which was not good because of the COVID bulls**t going on).

I had an acute asthma attack I felt much better as soon as I got in the much cooler ER.

But according to them it "Works fine"

I have it on cool mode now because it is about 60°F outside and almost 77°F inside the house.

Old 12-24-20, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
You should keep all your heat pump problems in one thread.
It keep the same questions from being asked over and over.

Old 12-24-20, 08:50 PM
OK sorry that is why I linked to all three of the other ones but can you are someone else answer the question I asked in this thread?

Thanks

Old 12-24-20, 09:26 PM
R
Received 112 Votes on 106 Posts
No, you cannot purposely release refrigerant.
Besides being illegal, you can wind up with severe frostbite and a host of other issues.
It would seem there’s nothing wrong with the equipment, but the folks working on it have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Mitsubishi is second to none. I’ve worked on hundreds. They work great.
If they are reading pressure and telling you it’s fine, that’s wrong. Minis need the charge pulled and weighed to determine if the charge is ok.

Old 12-24-20, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
EPA says you cant release refrigerant in the atmosphere. Is this what you want to do? If so we will need to close this thread..

Old 12-24-20, 10:05 PM
Besides being illegal, you can wind up with severe frostbite and a host of other issues.
It would seem there’s nothing wrong with the equipment, but the folks working on it have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Mitsubishi is second to none. I’ve worked on hundreds. They work great.
If they are reading pressure and telling you it’s fine, that’s wrong. Minis need the charge pulled and weighed to determine if the charge is ok
They put a gauge on it I told the "tech" about this issue I asked to see what said gauges said he said "Go Away Kid" I'm not a kid anymore and I probably know more then he did about HVAC.

EPA says you cant release refrigerant in the atmosphere. Is this what you want to do? If so we will need to close this thread..
Yes this I want to know which port High (RED) or low (Blue) is more likely to leak so I can tell them the unit no longer works at all and I don't want my "work" to be an obvious red or blue flag (lol)

Well the EPA should tell manufactures to stop making CRAP that can't even last two year *COUGH* Any modern Dehumidifier *COUGH* as they are not made to last and when they do fail they puke the entire R410A charge into the environment (usually around 8OZ) so a few more won't hurt the atmosphere anymore then it already is.

Old 12-24-20, 10:49 PM
R
Well, you can’t do that. So it’s not an option.
And you tech doesn’t know what he’s doing. So your equipment will only run as well as his skill set. Which isn’t much by the sound of it.

Old 12-24-20, 11:08 PM
Well, you can’t do that. So it’s not an option.
And you tech doesn’t know what he’s doing. So your equipment will only run as well as his skill set. Which isn’t much by the sound of it.
I really don't know what else to do (moving is not an option for me yet) they claim it is working as it does blow cool (not cold) the indoor coils are about 52-55°F the output air is around 47-48°F the outdoor coils are around 100-103°F this is measured by my IR thermometer.

The compressor shuts off in the cooler temperatures like today thus raising the humidity as the fans blower wheel aerates the water in the drain pan (like the old fashioned humidifier that had a spinning disk that made the water into vapors) it is 62°F outside while the house is at 74°F now while the unit is set at its lowest set-point of 61°F

I do have that 12K BTU window rattler that I found but I don't want to lift it into the window for 1 day (today) of use.

The Mini-Split is a Mitsubishi
MSZ-FH12NA (Indoor Unit)
MUZ-FH12NA-1 (Outdoor Unit)

Old 12-24-20, 11:13 PM
R
Have you ever had experience with a refrigeration circuit?
You release refrigerant, first of all, it could contain liquid which could give you frostbite bad enough to have to seek medical attention.
Second, oil will also be drawn out. So your access fitting will be covered in oil. Giving your little “trick” away.
As I said, unless you want bad burns on your hands it’s a terrible and illegal idea.
I don’t know what to tell you. Beyond working your way up the ladder to someone else. But there’s not a thing wrong with that equipment. Beyond those that think they know how to work on it.

Old 12-25-20, 12:56 AM
Have you ever had experience with a refrigeration circuit?
Yes but with the mobile car type AC systems (R-134A) the can gets really cold when putting that stuff in and one time a bit came out I always wear gloves when working on cars so I did not get hit directly with that blast of very very cold stuff I have used the caned "Air" type (Basically R-134A) when the can is inverted the ice cold liquid comes out, so yes I know the dangers I did not know about the oil part but I do know they have oil in the refrigeration circuit to lucubrate the compressor and other parts but I did not know it would coat that fitting that is what I asked what to do and yes I do know venting refrigerant is a big No No. I will have to see who is ahead of the boss who runs the place I live in.

I do have that window unit I found and I can use that in the mean time but not today as I'm not lifting that 80 LB AC unit for a days of use.

Can you please lock this thread if you can?

Thanks and sorry for asking something so stupid but my medical conditions need a working AC.

Old 12-25-20, 06:09 AM
R
Is this apartment maintenance staff working on this unit? If so they are notorious for incompetent work. Not to umbrella every apartment maintenance guy but I’ve met many that haven’t had a clue what they are doing with anything. Putting gauges on a minisplit tells you little to nothing about the charge. Almost always you need to pull and weigh the charge.
If all else fails call the local media and see if they can stir something up.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 12-25-20, 06:26 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you searched for other HVAC techs ?

If you believe the present tech(s) and the system still ain't satisfactory - maybe it's time to cut your losses and start over with a different brand, different installer ...

Old 12-25-20, 01:44 PM
Is this apartment maintenance staff working on this unit? If so they are notorious for incompetent work. Not to umbrella every apartment maintenance guy but I’ve met many that haven’t had a clue what they are doing with anything. Putting gauges on a minisplit tells you little to nothing about the charge. Almost always you need to pull and weigh the charge.
If all else fails call the local media and see if they can stir something up.
They sent out one tech who put gauges on it that is the one who said "Go away Kid".
They will not send out another one because according to their checks it is "Working Fine"
They are using a temp gun to check the units output temperature and the surrounding areas however they do not check the humidity as when the compressor shuts off the humidity spikes very quickly and I notice right away when that happens as the cool air turns to a warm musty/moldy type smell. The coils get warm very quickly when the compressor is not running these are not like the old ACs my parents had when I was a kid I remember them still blowing cold air for about 3-5 minutes after the compressor shut off and you know when it did as they were loud and shook the whole house when it did shut off I guess that is how they earned the term "Window Rattler"

I'm trying to find out who is ahead of the "Executive Director"
I moved here 12 years ago this place has been under new management since 2012 they have done more damage to this place in 8 years then time itself. My rent however is "Grandfathered" in so I still pay the same base rent from 12 years ago.

Old 12-25-20, 04:42 PM
Just another thought these are also capable of heating so I guess I can use it for heat and the same problem should occur correct? They tout these as "being super efficient able to save money (why they care I don't know since the resident pays for the electricity that runs these units) also these apartment are 100% electric heat, hot water ,range, etc. I use the baseboard heating because as we know electric resistance heating is 100% efficient as in all the power consumed is put out as usable heat.

I would think using it for heat and then complain to them the apartment is cold would get them out faster to fix it thus complying about a hot place.

Old 12-25-20, 06:33 PM
R
Yes, it’s a heat pump.
Even though electric heat is 100% efficient, and the heat pump is not, it will likely cost less to use the heat pump to heat your apartment. Then electric resistance heating.

Old 12-25-20, 07:28 PM
Yes, it’s a heat pump.
Even though electric heat is 100% efficient, and the heat pump is not, it will likely cost less to use the heat pump to heat your apartment. Then electric resistance heating.
So if the unit is in fact low on refrigerant like the consensus here thinks it should do the exact same thing on heat mode correct?

Old 12-25-20, 07:43 PM
R
Should struggle. Exactly how much depends on how low on refrigerant it is.

Old 12-25-20, 09:37 PM
Should struggle. Exactly how much depends on how low on refrigerant it is.
OK cool (or hot if the thing actually works Lol!)
I guess I will shut off the base board heating at the circuit breakers (4x 20A breakers for 2x total circuits) and use this for heating that way if it "acts up" and they place gets cold maybe they will actually send out a real competent tech to fix it.

PS: They had to change the breaker panel to even get that thing installed, I saved the old panel and made a power distribution box for testing my 240V finds (mostly old HID lighting and some obscure fluorescent stuff, LED is not allowed in my house other then their original use indicator lights).

It plugs into the range receptacle which they conveniently had to change from a NEMA 10-50R to the newer grounded NEMA 14-50R version.

I only had to buy the 14-50P cord the rest was from "scrap" materiel's I and the people who did the panel changes had around They were nice people unlike the installers on the unit itself.

The guy tried to "get rid" of my window rattler by opening the window He was about to push it out I said "What the Hell are you doing"? He said "You don't need need that anymore" Me: "So, I paid for it not you leave it alone"

Old 12-27-20, 09:44 PM
If they are reading pressure and telling you it’s fine, that’s wrong. Minis need the charge pulled and weighed to determine if the charge is ok.
Lock this up
Please1234567890

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: