Filter location or access panel?

Old 01-13-21, 05:34 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filter location or access panel?

Hello,
My outdoor A/C unit is beginning to frost over. Outdoor temp between 30-40 indoor temp 70.

Iíve read that I should be changing filters which I do every month. We have 5 ceiling filters that are changed. I wasnít sure if there are any additional filters at the blower system in the attic. I visually inspected them and found two access covers, one of which is taped.

I opened one of the panels to find no filter but I wouldnít put it past the previous owner not replacing the one that could have been there.

Please see picture below.

Thank you in advance!

Jamie

Is this where a filter would go?

Old 01-13-21, 06:05 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Monthly filter changes seems excessive but it's not going to hurt anything.

I guess I'm not really sure what your question is?

Old 01-13-21, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

My outdoor A/C unit is beginning to frost over. Outdoor temp between 30-40 indoor temp 70.
You posted in the A/C forum. Is this a split A/C system or heat pump ?
You can't run a split A/C system under 50į.

If it's a heat pump..... is it defrosting ? A heat pump will build up frost and then defrost based on a time interval or a temperature sensor. You could also be low on refrigerant.

The filter would pretty much go where your picture shows. Those black plastic items may be catches. It will be on the return side. Basically all the return air needs to be filtered. So if there is a filter on every return ..... that would be all there is.

Old 01-13-21, 07:36 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses. This must be a heat pump then because I have both A/C and heat out of the same system.

i donít know if the system is defrosting because once I saw the frost build up I shut it off. How long does the defrost usually take?

Iíll have to take measurements tomorrow and then get some filters installed to rule out that being part of the issue. Unless the lack of filters (at the blower unit) has already caused a problem.

sorry for any confusion just trying to address the problem as quickly as possible!

thanks again

Old 01-14-21, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Moved to heat pump forum.

You need to verify system operation first. It is normal for the outside condenser to get frost on it. It may actually get pretty heavy before a defrost is initiated. You can post the model number off the outside condenser and we can look up what determines a defrost cycle.

Are you getting heat when the heat pump is running ?
With a heat pump system.... if the room air temperature is 3 or more degrees below the set temperature .... the thermostat will turn on the electric reheat coils. This 3 degree differential represents a heat pump that can't keep up with the heating demand. It's for this reason setback thermostats are not wanted on heat pump systems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: