Heat pump blows cold air then more problems

Old 01-27-21, 04:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump blows cold air then more problems

Hello, so my heater started blowing cold air, I called out an HVAC company and the tech told me the contactor was bad and showed me. It glowed and was burnt out. I opted to change the part myself due to the price. Here is where I am now.

DPC single pole switched out for a double pole. For a few hours the heat came out then back to cold air. I inspected the contactor and it seemed fine.
Next day, I checked the large capacitor next to it and it was bad. I verified it with a ESR meter. I replaced it and now the unit fan turns on then off, off/on...

I have the schematic and was following the troubleshooting guide but this new problem is not listed. I will be going into the attic to look over the equipment up there and continue following the troubleshooting guide.

My question is has anyone have a problem like this and what might I look at next? Thanks

Goodman
ARUF486016- air handler
GSZ130601ab- heat pump

Old 01-27-21, 06:36 PM
Received 90 Votes on 85 Posts
Hi, what contactor was glowing red? What is a DPC switch? this is a strange description of the operation.
This is a HP and when the thermostat is calling for heat what happens next?
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 01-27-21, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Never seen a contactor glow before. I have seen them spark.
DPC single pole switched out for a double pole.
NO..... you cannot do that. That usually disables the crankcase heater.
In a heat pump you normally need to replace like with like.

The condenser fan may be cycling if the unit is in defrost.... which will also cause cold air inside if the electric reheats aren't set up properly.

Post the wiring diagram for us........ how-to-insert-pictures.

Old 01-27-21, 07:57 PM
C
Geochurchi
Thanks. DPC is Definite Purpose Contactor. The red marks are where it glowed but not all the areas in red. Just the top and bottom but I dont recall which ones. When I set the thermostat to heat, it blew cold air only when I replaced the DPC for a 2 pole. It did that for 4 hours straight. I turned it all off and went to bed. When I checked it this afternoon, I found the capacitor next to it was bad. I changed it out and now it is doing the on off thing. Short cycling I guess.

Old 01-27-21, 08:07 PM
C
PJmax
Thank you.
I was thinking that but I did read something where a 2 pole was fine. It was suggested by the store when I bought it. I was thinking of changing it out but why did it seem to operate when I replaced the DPC?
I am in Arizona, the coldest it has been is around freezing. I had cold air coming out but then it started to warm up and I went to dinner. When I cam back it was blowing cold air.
This is the wiring diagram I think you want.

Old 01-27-21, 08:10 PM
C
I didnt make it up to the attic, I want to look at the filter up there and the whole unit. I have to take this up tomorrow after work. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Old 01-27-21, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Thanks for the diagram.

If your unit has a crankcase heater..... it does require a single switched contactor. I can't tell from the diagram if you have one. It's optional in areas that aren't considered cold zones.

Is just the condenser fan cycling...... the compressor is not cycling ?
The condenser fan is controlled from the defrost board.
As I mentioned.... it sounds like you have a defrost problem.

I used blue for black for clarity. This is the crankcase heater circuit.
It shows a contactor with L1 shorted to T1.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: