I Just Want T Be Sure......

Old 02-14-21, 06:40 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 48 Posts
I Just Want T Be Sure......

Winter storm coming (at least for us)....

We've only lived in this home for 4 years so being back out in the rural setting, we bought 2 generators. The winter storm we have coming is a rarity for us so combining.... new to generators & rare winter storm... I just gotta ask even though I am fairly sure of my plan.

We have a Goodman 3 ton central heat/AC unit of which the heat souse is natural gas.
If, as the power company expects, the electricity goes out (for an extended period), my plan is to run the central heat (along with a few other appliances) via generator. Fortunately, when they installed this central heat unit, they installed a 115v electrical outlet in that space & just put a plug on the power cord. Therefore, I should be able to just plug that right into the generator to continue use of the system. If I am correct, the 115v is only running the electric igniter & the blower motor.... correct?

So, this shouldn't be an issue.... to just simply plug the 115v power cord (via 14 ga ext cord) into a generator & it should run as normal... correct?

Old 02-14-21, 06:59 AM
R
Received 112 Votes on 106 Posts
The entire burner uses power, gas valve, transformer, blower motor, inducer motor, etc.
But it’s all a relatively low load.
However, your unit does have electronics inside. That sometimes don’t like the dirty power generic generators produce. Inverter generators are best for this sort of thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: