Loud noise then a burning smell from the vents

Old 02-22-21, 10:08 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Loud noise then a burning smell from the vents

A few minutes ago I noticed my indoor unit making a loud noise, I checked the outdoor unit and that was running fine, so shut everything off. At that point my son who was upstairs calls me up to his room where there is a strong burning electrical smell. So, first port of call was the garage to shut off the breaker.

The unit is a Trane 2TGB indoor unit, I believe an XR13 outdoor unit, heat pump. At the time the emergency heat was not running, neither was the aux heat. Just on a regular heat cycle.

Based on my limited knowledge, I am assuming it likely that the blower motor got stuck for one reason or another, causing the motor to burn up (unless it is an electrical issue). But, the smell coupled with the loud noise makes me suspect it being the blower motor.

I've called a professional and am waiting on a call back, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to check the motor? I am comfortable taking the unit apart, did so a few months back while tracking down a blown fuse. I suspect without a multimeter, there is not a whole lot I can check (my multimeter died, have not yet picked up a replacement). I am curious though, if there is any possible visual or mechanical clues that would indicate the motor being dead.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-21, 10:35 AM
R
Received 111 Votes on 105 Posts
Had the motor locked up? Or broken its mounting bracket?

Old 02-22-21, 11:13 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure yet, I have not opened it up. I'm guessing that it locked up, but obviously without opening the unit I don't know. That's why I was not sure if I could check anything without at least having a multimeter.

Old 02-22-21, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
I'd make a visual check of the blower motor and the squirrel cage wheels.
We had a member here a little while back when one of the wheels exploded.

There could be one or two wheels. Not always easy to see. See if they spin ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: