CPLE24-1C Goodman Heat Pump fan spinning slowly

Old 02-22-21, 05:08 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
CPLE24-1C Goodman Heat Pump fan spinning slowly capacitor already replaced

I have the subject Outside Unit at my other home. I *believe* that the fan ran at full speed until I did as below but I could be wrong.

I believe that I turned it on and programmed the settings to 2 heat, 1 cool on the Honeywell TH5220D thermostat. Perhaps I am wrong though. Either way I programmed it to 1 heat/1 cool shortly thereafter.

Coulda been anything though, the whole thing was covered sold in ice. I chiseled away at much as I could.

Anyways, the condenser still kicks on and the house still seems to get warm BUT the fan turns slow. Maybe about half speed. Now that I recall, I could not get the fan to turn at all until I power cycled it.

I replaced the capacitor already. I was surprised that didn't fix it.

I did smell some burning in the unit but that went away.

The unit is quite old, all of the stickers have faded away unfortunately. I just know that it is the subject unit from years ago.

My son is going to be going to HVAC school hopefully so we can replace the whole inefficient mess....but until then I'd like to keep this going.

NOTE: When replacing the capacitor, there is a possibility that I did not replace it correctly. The capacitor was completely covered in rust in spite of replacing it in 2014 and the terminal makings could not be retrieved. I know that I replaced it correctly last time (fan stopped spinning in the summer after a transformer surge). I took an educated guess e.g. looked at old capacitor and wired the same wires to each terminal based upon the amount of male spades that it had. So the terminal with 4 spades, I moved to the new cap with 4 spades 3 to 3 and 2 to 2. I don't know if that is flawed logic but I'd like to rule that out.

Thanks!

Last edited by jj94auto; 02-22-21 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
I don't know if that is flawed logic but I'd like to rule that out.
Yep.... that's flawed.

Did you guess at the values for that dual cap ?
The connection markings should be stamped/embossed in the metal can near the terminals.

The thermostat programming shouldn't affect the operation of the fan.
If the entire coil was full of ice it sounds like there is a problem with the defrost cycle.
Could be a bad board or defective temperature sensor.

Old 02-23-21, 05:26 AM
J
As far as which terminals are what:

The old cap was:

https://www.amazon.com/Mars-12264-Ge.../dp/B00S8G2KRE

The new cap is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that they are the same no?

As far as the terminals on the old one go, the entire top was badly surface rusted even after being replaced only 7 years ago. It has been discharged and has been running in my vibratory tumbler all night. I hope that allows me to see the terminal designations pretty soon.

I would say that the unit is iced over because I didn't run it at my old residence for 6 months and then I turned on.

Thoughts from here? I have been youtubing for a while now and I see to me what seem to be all of these unnecessarily complicated tests for the fan motor. My thoughts are either it has 2xx Volts A/C or it doesn't.

If it is getting the voltage it needs but is running slowly then the fan motor is bad, no?

Thanks.

Last edited by jj94auto; 02-23-21 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-23-21, 08:36 AM
J
Update....I verified that the cap is wired correctly. The parts tumbler allowed me to see the old cap's terminals. Any suggestions before I replace the fan motor?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-21, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
If the capacitor is the right size..... that leaves the motor.

Old 02-26-21, 05:24 AM
J
Thank you for this. I will swap out the motor and see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: