new thermostat buggered it up

Old 03-02-21, 07:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new thermostat buggered it up

Ok so had a warm day here in SC about two days ago and went to adjust the thermostat. It was an older programmable honeywell. Put in a honeywell t5 programmable one. I have a Rheem 3 ton 13 seer heat pump outside. Had a few issues installing the new tstat where heat was blowing on cold but I got it working. Well, typical SC weather we went back to cold today. went to flip it to heating and nothing from the outside unit. Check the breaker and the heat strip breaker is tripped. Reset it, still nothing. Check fuse in hp. Blown. Pulled the discos outside, replaced fuse, plugged discos back in and reset breaker again. Cold air blowing again on heat mode and cool trips the bloody breaker. the blue and black are not attached. This rheem has heat strips and emergency heat. Lost as to what I am doing wrong here.

New tstat

Green breakers...middle grey is the stove

Tstat that has been here since we moved in 4 years ago

Popular Reply

03-02-21, 08:40 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Was hoping you replied as I'm leaving tonight.

Heat strips and emergency heat are the same thing.
Looks like you have a 2P60A breaker for the heat strips. (probably air handler too)
I'm guessing the 2P30 labeled furnace is actually for the heat pump/condenser.

Not sure why you'd be tripping the heat strip breaker unless an element shorted.
If you turn off the 2P60..... more than likely nothing works as the 24v for the system comes from the air handler.

Old 03-02-21, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The last picture is the original thermostat and the top picture is the new one..... correct ?
If the bottom stat worked without the black and blue then you shouldn't need them.

The wiring looks correct.
The white wire on AUX (W2) is the heat strip line.
Since you have a Rheem/Ruud unit you need to set the stat to B mode in O/B programming.

Old 03-02-21, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Was hoping you replied as I'm leaving tonight.

Heat strips and emergency heat are the same thing.
Looks like you have a 2P60A breaker for the heat strips. (probably air handler too)
I'm guessing the 2P30 labeled furnace is actually for the heat pump/condenser.

Not sure why you'd be tripping the heat strip breaker unless an element shorted.
If you turn off the 2P60..... more than likely nothing works as the 24v for the system comes from the air handler.

dsomerv, Joshua Smith voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-21, 01:57 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I went out and pulled both disconnects, came inside, flipped the breakers, went outside, plugged in the disconnects, turned the breakers back on and went to bed as it was almost 2AM at this point. I got up and it was blowing hot air on heat and cold air on cold so I dont know what the issue was. Thanks for reviewing what I thought I had fubar'd. It all seems to be working now.

Old 03-08-21, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Good to hear all is well. Stop back if things change.

Old 03-09-21, 09:26 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Not the cause of your issue but those GE breakers do not belong there (the two 30A ones you have) This is the correct modern replacement I do love those older colored coded handles though! too bad they don't do this anymore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: