older mini split system

Old 03-05-21, 08:00 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
older mini split system

I have an unique set up with my mini split that is used for the room over the garage. I have an american standard heat pump outside and an general electric floor mounted unit in the room. The system is still working, I was just curious if anybody has seen this type of setup?

Old 03-09-21, 09:33 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Any pictures? Never seen or even heard of anything like that before is the floor unit a heater? I have seen older wall AC's (near the floor in some places, but not IN the floor) sounds more like a self contained (like a window rattler is) AC/heater with either heat strips (more likely) or reverse cycle AC (AKA Heat-pump).

Maybe a mismatched thing but the mini-splits I have seen will only work with their specific type as they communicate to each other they have many sensors and are more complex then needed (this is why I hate them!)

I'd rather have an old AC with the dials and a full R-22 charge! I got my wish as I found a 12K one near the trash bin it was fine other then a bad LCDI thing (cord was fine!)

Old 03-10-21, 07:02 AM
F
Old 03-10-21, 07:39 AM
R
Received 114 Votes on 108 Posts
Both are Trane products. At least these days.
That’s not really a mini split, more of a remoted fan coil unit.

Old 03-15-21, 02:04 PM
F
Ok Thanks for the info Hopefully it works a while longer. I can imagine a replacement system will be expensive.

Old 03-15-21, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,483 Votes on 1,371 Posts
A basic mini split heat pump system could replace that.
The major difference is your unit sits on the floor and the air comes out of the top.
A mini split sends air out towards the upper front. It's usually mounted higher up on the wall.

Old 03-16-21, 10:09 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 170 Posts
The larger mini-split manufacturers do now have floor-mount units.

Your setup is obviously on the older side... but if it's still working, why change it? I'm sure you'd get a bit more efficiency in a new setup, but probably not enough to make it worth replacing it just for the efficiency.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: